The Basics

Zubair Hirji

What is the grading scale at UBC?

For most courses, the grading scale is as follows: an A+ is 90–100 per cent, an A is 85–89 per cent, an A- is 80–84 per cent, a B+ is 76–79 per cent, a B is 72–75 per cent, a B- is 68–71 per cent, a C+ is 64–67 per cent, a C is 60–63 per cent, a C- is 55–59 per cent, a D is 50–54 per cent and an F is 49 per cent and below.

What is Credit/D/Fail?

You can choose to take certain courses for Credit/D/Fail grading rather than a traditional percentage-based mark, meaning the course won’t impact your GPA. A Credit standing is earned if you receive a mark of 55 per cent or above in the course, and a D standing is given if your mark is between 50 and 54.9 per cent; both of these standings will grant you credit for the course. However, if your grade is below 50 per cent, you will receive a Fail standing on your transcript and you will not gain any credit for the course. Keep in mind that you cannot take any courses required for your degree for Credit/D/Fail, you must indicate you are taking a course for Credit/D/Fail before the established deadline and you must meet the eligibility requirements prior to registering. (Note: Students who took courses in 2019 Winter Term 2 for Credit/D/Fail were granted an exception to the eligibility and degree limitations due to COVID-19.)

Can I withdraw from a class? And what is a W?

The answer to the first question is yes! There are two deadlines to withdraw from classes. The first allows you to drop a course without putting a W on your transcript and usually happens in the first couple weeks of a term. A W is a mark on your transcript to signify that you have withdrawn from a class. The second deadline occurs midway through a term and allows you to withdraw from a course with a W standing on your transcript. While having a lot of Ws on a transcript is not recommended for students looking to apply to grad school, it can be better than failing a course. (Note: Students who took courses in 2019 Winter Term 2 were allowed to withdraw from courses with a W standing beyond the deadline due to COVID-19.)

What happens if I fail a course? What is Academic Probation?

If you fail a course, don’t worry! While it can be tough to deal with in the moment, know that everyone experiences these struggles and instead use it as an opportunity to grow. The requirements for academic probation vary between faculties, but generally occurs when a student fails multiple courses or has a cumulative GPA of below 55 per cent. Academic probation restricts the number of credits a student can take in order to provide a lighter workload. Fear not, though! Students can achieve good standing again if they improve their GPA and pass all credits.

What's next?