Nosh Hunt: The richest hot chocolate (whipped cream recommended)

Snow is finally falling, albeit a bit late in the season (and for no longer than a couple hours at a time). That means it’s time for your perfect hot chocolate to start brewing.

Insider tip: If these options are a bit too tame for you, check out the Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, running from January 13–February 14. Cafés and chocolatiers from all over the Lower Mainland are putting their own personal spin on the drink, with flavours like baklava, biko and many more. One of the participating venues is even in Wesbrook Village!

But for the purposes of this article, we’ll focus on the basics: Classic milk chocolate goodness. Put on your winter boots, and let’s find the best hot chocolate for you, because a sweet sip is just a short stroll from your favourite study spot.

Blue Chip

Blue Chip’s hot chocolate comes with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. The coolness of the whip melts instantly into the river of chocolate.

To add a little something extra, you can choose from an assortment of syrup flavours — along with the classics, you’ll find peppermint, hazelnut and even lavender, if you’re feeling adventurous. You can get the smallest size (12oz) for $4.50 before tax.

Great Dane Coffee

Mirror, mirror on the wall: Who’s the creamiest of them all?

Great Dane, hands down. At $4.50 for a 12oz cup, this hot cocoa delivers a creamy bliss that makes the chocolate seem secondary to the milk. If you typically prefer to wait some time for your drink to cool down, Great Dane also offers an 8oz cup with the option to adjust the temperature.

Boulevard

Boulevard recognizes our need for something sweet on rainy, snowy days. It’s on the pricier side, with their 8oz cup coming to $5 before tax. But if you’re willing to spend a little extra, you’ll find yourself swept up in heavenly chocolate.

Boulevard puts its own spin on the drink as well — it offers Aztec Gold hot chocolate, a perfect blend of spices that wrap your mouth in chocolate affection, for $5.50 plus tax. Although it isn't as thick as their regular hot cocoa, it’s definitely rich in flavour.

Bean Around the World

Decorated with chocolate drizzle and foam, this hot chocolate will bring the warm, fuzzy feeling that you long for every winter season. If you manage to find a seat, enjoy your hot cocoa in the shop’s lodge-like atmosphere.

Their small hot chocolate is a more affordable option at $4.25 before tax, and will make you want to lick the cup bottom clean.

Loafe Café

If you prefer a milder chocolate flavour, Loafe’s hot chocolate is thinner and not as creamy — perhaps made with a higher hot water to milk ratio. For $4.25 plus tax, you’ll get a decent 8oz cup with a few perfect spoonfuls of foam left at the bottom to look forward to. Try adding different syrups for your own unique blend of flavours!