Nosh Hunt: Speedrunning snacks

You're siting in class. Your stomach is rumbling. You're desperate for a snack.

BUT you only have 10 minutes before your next lecture, and you have no idea where to go for that quick bite. Look no further than this masterlist of cafes on campus (tested by yours truly) for your next caffeine boost and on-the-go sandwich.

Starbucks vs Starbucks

Olivia Vos / The Ubyssey

Two of the most popular places on campus to grab a coffee before class are the Starbucks in the Life Building and the one beside the bookstore. I had to visit them both at their busiest time and see which one was better for a stop in between classes.

I hit both places at around 10 a.m., and spent 15 minutes at the bookstore location, compared to just 10 minutes total in the Life Building. The Life Starbucks has always been my go-to, and clearly that’s for good reason.

I treated myself to a pumpkin chai and a croissant at both locations, which added up to $10.66. If you’re looking to further shorten your wait time, I recommend pastries that don’t need to be warmed up and drip coffee since it always arrives before you leave the cashier.

My opinion on Starbucks coffee may be controversial, but I give it a 5/5. Classic and dependable.

Ike’s Café in IKB

Olivia Vos / The Ubyssey

I haven’t heard many people talk about Ike’s Cafe, and now I know why. Although there are free refills on coffee and bubble tea (a slightly odd offering from a small coffee shop), the food was mediocre. The location is convenient, but I would recommend sticking with the coffee, as the broccoli cheddar soup was not great. The two items came to $8.13. But Ike’s is a good bet if you're in a rush — I only spent two minutes waiting for my food when I stopped by at 2 p.m. It’s a 3/5 from me.

Blue Chip in the Nest

At $10.24 for a cold brew and a rosemary bagel with cream cheese, Blue Chip isn’t the most budget-friendly option on this list. However, there are a plethora of food and drink options, and the food quality makes up for the price. My order also only took about six minutes (most of which was waiting for the bagel to be toasted), so I give it a 5/5.

ESC Eatery

Olivia Vos / The Ubyssey

Aside from the Starbucks in the Engineering building, I wanted to find another option on the south side of campus. I ended up at the cafe in ESC, and it was pretty disappointing compared to the other places I visited. I waited about seven minutes for my coffee and chocolate chip cookie.

Although they were cheap, there weren’t many options, and I was very disappointed in the $1 coffee. I give it a 2/5 for quality, but they do have Red Bull and other snacks if you aren’t looking for a pastry.

Loafe vs Loafe

For my last visits, I went to the Loafe locations in Sauder and in the Alumni Centre. In Sauder, it took just over 10 minutes at 2 p.m. to get my Americano and molasses cookie for around $8. I waited for just under four minutes at the Alumni Centre location for my drip coffee and danish, which came to $8.80.

Loafe always has delicious food and the coffee is high quality, so I give both Loafes a 5/5 in terms of taste. The Sauder location baristas did tell me they were out of drip coffee around 2 p.m. despite having some for the girl behind me, so I am unsure of the real verdict on coffee availability.

Both Loafes were good, but I recommend the Alumni building location over Sauder.

After testing on-campus cafes at the busiest times I’ve realized that, in the end, it comes down to your budget and where your class is, and I hope that this list has helped you narrow down your choices for optimal efficiency and quality.