Uncontested VP AUA candidate talks affordability, campus protests at first debate

At the first AMS Elections debate, VP academic and university affairs (VPAUA) candidate Kamil Kanji discussed his plans to push UBC for more affordable housing and keep the AMS involved in campus protests.

Regarding housing, Kanji said he wants to ensure the number of additional residence beds planned to be built in Campus Vision 2050 will "match similar growth rates" of the university. Campus Vision 2050 is UBC's long-term land-use plan currently in development.

"In the last 10 years, we've had about 5,000 new beds that have been added to the UBC campus, and what is being proposed in Campus Vision is nowhere near that," he said.

Beyond Campus Vision, Kanji said he plans to advocate to UBC to use money from the endowment to construct low-cost affordable student housing, and to create housing assistance grants for students to apply to.

The AMS did not lead the two biggest student protests this year — on tuition increases and food insecurity.

When asked whether he would play a bigger role in student protests than his predecessors, Kanji said he believes "very deeply in the power" of student advocacy and would attend protests and ensure the AMS would take the lead on these issues. 

He said the AMS's role should also be to support and fund the groups, clubs and undergraduate societies already doing the "on the ground work."

Kanji is also the strategy and governance lead in the AMS president's office this year. When questioned whether he pushed for the AMS's involvement in the previous protests, he did not provide a clear answer but said if elected he "would really make sure that [the AMS is] prioritizing the attendance at protests." 

To support affordability, Kanji said he would work collaboratively with UBC to secure more funding from the provincial government to lower or prevent tuition increases.

Kanji also said he would work collaboratively with other student groups beyond protests to improve advocacy. 

When asked about this year’s Academic Experience Survey, which had a low response rate, Kanji said students often face survey fatigue but would work with clubs, constituencies, and resource groups to better promote the survey, if elected.

He also said he would consult with the appropriate student groups for further advocacy on UBC’s investments, following an Advocacy Committee report published this year on three advocacy methods to get UBC to incorporate human rights and ESG principles into their investments. Kanji did not specify which, if any of the methods in the report he would like to pursue. 

Because Kanji is running uncontested, he does not have to distinguish himself from other candidates, but he said this will not stop him from campaigning "hard." Kanji will still have to receive 50% 'yes' votes from student to be elected.

"It is a tough job to continue to liaise with the university and ensure you're fighting actively for the needs of students, but I think I've proven that I can deliver over my course within student government, and I hope to continue to be able to do that."

Kanji will debate himself one more time this AMS Elections season at the Great Debate this Friday in the Nest atrium.