Candidate Abhi Mishra discusses plans for housing support, food bank, falters on Indigenous finance guidelines at Great Debate

Abhi Mishra detailed his plans to support the AMS Food Bank and spoke about his relevant experience, but seemed unfamiliar on issues with the Indigenous financial guidelines at the second VP finance debate on Friday.

Linda Zheng, the only other candidate for VP finance, did not attend last night’s debate. In a statement, she said she couldn’t make it because of prior work commitments.

This year, the AMS originally projected a $1.25 million deficit, but after a budget reforecast presented at AMS Council last week, the deficit shrunk by almost $700,000. Regarding this issue of the accuracy of budget forecasts, Mishra said it was important that students know where their money is being utilized.

“We are students, not cash cows,” he said. “If [the AMS] is over-projecting and not showing us the reality, then it is time we demand for it.” As VP finance, he would be involved in this forecasting.

Regarding his background in financial work, Mishra said he was a co-founder of a sustainability startup, Mosa, where he was constantly looking to improve standards and made sure every single expense was accounted for.

“I’ve been in contact with other AMS execs,” he said. “I [was] also the events coordinator [at AMS Events] so I have adequate knowledge of AMS’s finances.”

In the debate, Mishra proposed having meetings, town halls and round-table conferences with students to determine what they prioritize in the AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan — which falls within the VP finance's portfolio

“If we have an independent insurance auditor who tells us where exactly we could use the plan, we would have a better understanding of [the plan].” he added.

In response to a question about the importance of the AMS's Indigenous Finance Guidelines and what he would like to change in the guidelines, Mishra said it was important to consult underrepresented groups. However, he declined to comment on the content of the guidelines.

When asked how he would support students with off campus-housing and how it ties back to the VP finance portfolio, Mishra said international students don’t know how to negotiate with landlords when they come to Canada so he wants to provide resources to them.

“I would advocate that the AMS collaborates with AMS housing and work together to serve students,” he said. The AMS Housing Service has been discontinued and has been subsumed by the AMS Advocacy service.

Regarding securing long-term funding for the AMS Food Bank, Mishra said he would try to reduce procurement costs and collaborate with other food banks.

“I would also leverage the platform of AMS Events to come up with a sponsorship package that will be used for our corporate partners so that we would be able to donate [to the AMS Food Bank],” he added. “ I would also work closely with the VP academic [and university] affairs office.”

When asked how he would address the loss of institutional knowledge this past year as VP finance, Mishra said the VP finance office was not able to deliver on its promises due to a high staff turnover and that he would try to change this fact.

In his closing statement, Mishra reiterated that UBC students were not “cash cows” and he hopes to show that through his platform.

Voting opens Monday, March 6 and closes on March 10.

Follow us at @UbysseyNews on Twitter and follow our election coverage starting February 27. This article is part of our 2023 AMS Elections coverage.