VP external candidate apologizes for comments on police during Great Debate

Tina Tong, the lone candidate for AMS VP external, has issued an apology for her comments on police at Friday night’s Great Debate.

At the debate, when asked if she was concerned by the recent increase in the Vancouver Police Department’s (VPD) budget, Tong said she was not. She also said she was not aware of concerns BIPOC students might have with an increased police budget when asked. 

The Vancouver City Council recently approved its operating budget, which includes $390 million for the Vancouver Police Department, a $28.7 million increase from the 2022 budget. 

An audience member who identified themselves as Queer and Indigenous said they and Indigenous people close to them have been "harassed or beaten" by police in Vancouver.

Tong apologized for her lack of knowledge on the issue said she would research the issue further.

In her statement sent to The Ubyssey, Tong said she is aware that police brutality exists, but did not think about how the budget increase connected to police brutality when responding to the question.

“I at the time of quick thinking, thought that an increase in the VPD budget would mean students would be able to access the help and resources they need faster when in danger,” she wrote. “I will always always prioritize students’ safety above all else, but I am truly extremely sorry that I did not pause to consider all scopes a budget increase would affect before speaking.”

She also apologized to any students who might be upset by a perceived lack of concern towards their experience with police. 

“I can genuinely understand how it can be upsetting to those who have or have loved ones gone through personal experiences relating to police brutality in Vancouver. It was never my intention to express a lack of care for your experiences,” she wrote.