Whitecaps FC2: Midseason report and awards

Now that the Whitecaps FC2 officially kick off the second half of their inaugural season July 4 against Seattle, it’s the perfect time to assess how the team has progressed and the direction they are heading for the remaining 16 games of the regular season and (hopefully) beyond.

While their inaugural USL season got off to a rocky start with one win in their first eight matches, the league’s youngest team saw steady improvement over the next eight games, picking up 10 out of a possible 24 points.

Despite the encouraging results, the team’s priority is still to develop young talent and provide a viable option for MLS players looking for minutes. In that respect, the first half of the season has been everything the Whitecaps could have hoped for. A young core of USL regulars has emerged and perhaps more importantly the players loaned from the MLS have seamlessly meshed in and out of the lineup throughout the season. The ability to get minutes for players coming off injury or just not seeing a lot of playing time has had a resounding impact on the Whitecaps’ as they find themselves on top of the MLS.

But enough with the talk, it’s time to hand out some hardware. Here are your WFC2 Midseason Awards, as voted by yours truly.

MVP: Caleb Clarke

The Richmond, B.C. native’s six goals have accounted for nearly one third of the team’s entire goal tally for the year and his two assists have him ranked second on the team. Playing as a lone striker can be a tough job at times, but Clarke has shown a deft ability to hold up the ball and allow moves to flow through him rather than always being the end target. His importance to the team is not lost on Alan Koch, who has started the 22 year old in 11 games and played him in all 16.

Biggest Disappointment: Jovan Blagojevic

The Serbian born winger came to WFC2 as the 54th overall pick in the MLS Superdraft after a stellar career at nearby Simon Fraser University but has yet to make an impact with his new team. After scoring 18 goals in 18 games and being named second team All-American during his senior season with the Clan, Blagojevic has made one start and has only played a total of 165 minutes so far this season. His lack of playing time is less about familiarity with the coach, (Koch was his manager for his entire career at SFU) but more about the fact that less heralded players, such as the undrafted Brett Levis, have grasped major roles with the club while Blagojevic has been left to look on from the sidelines.

Unsung Hero: Tyler Rosenlund

The 28 year old USL veteran was brought in to provide leadership and experience for the young team and has not disappointed. The oldest member and captain of WFC2 has played a central figure in the defensive midfield role where his field awareness and poise with the ball have led him to become a favourite of Koch. Rosenlund has found good chemistry with Caleb Clarke, as he has assisted on two of the striker’s six goals.

Best Loan Appearance from an MLS Regular: Diego Rodriguez

Working his way back from a hamstring injury in late May, the Uruguayan centre back made three starts for WFC2 and his impact was noticeable right away. Rodriguez displayed aerial dominance, poise on the ball and some bone rattling tackles in his time with the team. Unfortunately for him, his displays have not led to consistent minutes with the big club. However, he will most certainly be welcome at the USL level where his command of the back line would be a welcome sight for WFC2 in the second half of the season.

Goal of the Year (so far): Brett Levis

The Saskatoon native had to wait nearly 10 games for his first professional goal but it was worth the wait. Clinging to a one goal lead versus Arizona on May 31, Levis nicked the ball near midfield before beginning a breathtaking run that saw him skip by two defenders before sliding the ball into the far corner of the net for his first career USL goal.

Most Worrying Trend: Leaky Defense

WFC2 rank the very bottom of the league in goals allowed, many of which have come in recent weeks. Even more concerning is the timing of these goals, too many of which have come late in games leaving the side dropping wins that they should be grabbing. On the positive side, the offence has woken up and the team is now in the top 10 of the league for shots per game. But you can only outscore your problems for so long.

Most Exciting Trend: The Bustos, Levis, McKendry midfield combination

After returning from a yearlong injury layoff against the Real Monarchs on June 3, Marco Bustos has seen considerable minutes as one of the three attacking midfielders for Alan Koch. The rest of the midfield three is made up of the ever consistent Ben McKendry and the breakout performer of the first half, Brett Levis. These three players have shown good chemistry and provide WFC2 with their best attacking lineup. Each of them has played out wide or up the middle and this allows them to interchange positions at will, making them extremely tough to defend.