What's next for Webb: life after the Thunderbirds

On June 10, in Kelowna, BC, Alex Webb periodically checked the internet to see if his name had been called in the MLB draft. But as the draft — in its third and final day — approached round 34, his name still hadn’t come up.

At 3 p.m., a couple of Webb’s teammates swung by his billet-family house to drive him to his Summer League game. Moments later, Webb received a phone call from the San Diego Padres. The Padres asked what it would take to sign him. Webb gave them a number and then hung up.

Fifteen minutes later, just as Webb’s ride pulled up to the field, the Padres called again — they had just drafted him.

The Padres selected Webb in round 36 out of 40. This was a decision that, despite having Webb wait for two days, surprised no one. After a stellar third season at UBC, Webb was named the NAIA West Pitcher of the Year and perfectgame.org’s top player in Canada. It was a dream season with a dream ending. But when the Padres presented Webb with a contract three weeks later, he turned them down. Why? What’s next for Alex Webb?

“I didn't want to go in as a 36 round pick with a low signing bonus and not be ready,” said Webb. “If you're a low pick with not a lot of money attached to you and you don't play well, it doesn't really take a lot for the team to just release you.”

In the MLB, college players are eligible sign once. After turning down a first offer, they can then be drafted again the following year — hopefully in a higher round. But once a player signs, they’re stuck in the system and must begin to try to get promoted through a hierarchy of minor leagues on their way to the majors. Naturally, higher draft picks tend to progress through the system more quickly.

So Webb decided to play one more season at UBC in hopes of entering the system at his best.

“I really do feel strongly that, even since June, I've gotten better and I think I’ll just keep getting better,” said Webb. “I think my chances are pretty high to get drafted again.”

However, the decision to stay wasn’t based solely on athletics. Webb has always been academically focused and is determined to finish his electrical engineering degree — a field he originally chose for its job prospects. As most draftees never make it to the majors, having a degree to fall back on could help alleviate the pressure of professional baseball.

But come the 2016 draft, Webb will still be 24 credits shy of his degree. He hopes that, after playing his first season of pro-baseball next summer, he can return to UBC in the fall to keep chipping away at his degree.

Balancing athletics with academics is something Webb has always excelled at. In high school, he juggled club baseball with International Baccalaureate studies. Every year that he’s played for UBC, he’s earned Academic All-Canadian and American honours.

After next fall, the balancing act becomes complicated. MLB rookies are given fall and winter off, but it’s back to full-time baseball in spring. Any player wishing to be promoted from the rookie league to the minors must attend spring training. This puts the 2017 spring and summer semesters out of reach for Webb and — if he succeeds in being promoted — the following fall too.

“I still have to work this out with the electrical engineering department,” said Webb. “They may make exceptions for me, [or] they may not, in terms of doing distance courses … but it might just come down to having to finish up after baseball is over.”

Webb is uncertain how he will balance baseball and school in the coming years, but he intends to sign a pro-contract next June. After that, he’ll definitely finish his degree — however many years that may take.

Webb’s last chance to impress scouts before the 2016 MLB draft begins this February when he suits up for the Thunderbirds one last time.