T-Birds 2023/24 season preview: Soccer teams look hungry for repeat championships

The school year is just about to start which means varsity sports are back! With both men’s and women’s soccer teams defending their Canada West (CW) championships, the soccer season is ramping up to be a good one. Here’s what you should expect from your Thunderbirds this year.

Women’s team hopes for another historic season

After winning their historic 16th CW championship last season and placing 5th in the nation, the women’s soccer team is looking bright for another season.

Although star player Danielle Steer, who broke the CW points record last season, graduated, veterans like Katalin Tolnai and Sophie Damian, along with recruits such as Bailey Doerksen and Sarah Rollins, are keeping this team looking strong for a successful season.

Doerksen is usually a midfielder, but has flexibility to play any of the front three positions which will give the team extra depth. Rollins previously played for the semi-professional North Toronto Nitros and will likely see good minutes on the defensive line.

The T-Birds were also voted the number one team in the CW coaches poll.

The season officially started last week and the ‘Birds wasted no time in asserting their dominance. They won their game over the University of Fraser Valley Cascades 1–0 and also beat their division rival, the Trinity Western University Spartans, 1–0.

Next, the team will travel to Kelowna to face the UBCO Heat on Friday, September 8.

Men’s team is more experienced

Hopes are high for the men’s team and for a reason — as the CW champions for the past five years and the reigning silver medalists at the national level, the ‘Birds have a lot to live up to. CW coaches also voted UBC the number one seed for this season.

But it looks like they can live with the pressure.

Although there are some notable losses to the team — like Victory Shumbusho and Tristan Nkoghe — the majority of the roster is returning and with more experience.

Second-year Chris Lee returns from a year with the Vancouver Whitecaps and second-year Eric Lajeunesse was selected by Pacific FC in the Canadian Premier League draft. Veteran player Sebastian Dzikowski is also making himself one to watch for, poised for what could be the best season of his U Sports career.

The Thunderbirds have had a successful season thus far, shutting out the University of Northern British Columbia Timberwolves with dominant victories of 4–0 and 5–0. Continuing a successful road trip, they beat the UBCO Heat 2–1 and Thompson River University Wolfpack 4–0.

The 'Birds return home on September 8 against the University of the Fraser Valley Cascades where they will hope to stay undefeated.