T-Bird Chris Serban is on track to Whitecaps FC2 success

For years there was a link missing in the local soccer scene between promising youngsters and the full-blown MLS, the highest level of soccer in North America. When the creation of the Whitecaps FC2 team was announced last fall, there was a hope that it would work as a developmental springboard for promising young players and their careers. For Thunderbirds right back Chris Serban, this is exactly the case. The reigning CIS Rookie of the Year was away at U-20 World Cup Qualilfying with the Canadian U-20 National team in January when he was approached by Whitecaps FC2 assistant coach Steve Meadley about signing with the newly created club.

“When I got back [from the U-20 qualifying] I got a call informing me that they wanted to sign me,” said the 19 year-old Calgary native. “Obviously, I was very excited, and I immediately took the offer and just jumped to it.”

Before joining WFC2, Serban was an integral part of the UBC Thunderbirds team as a freshman. The right back started 11 of the 12 regular season games and played all but 16 minutes during those starts. He was part of a back line that surrendered a league low seven goals during those 12 matches on route to being named the best rookie in the country. Serban attributes much of his recent success to Thunderbird head coach Mike Mosher, who pushed the youngster every step of the way.

“He’s always encouraged me and kept pushing me forward to become the best player I could be,” said Serban. “I remember I was going away for the U-20 national team camp during the exam break, and [Mosher] set up special training times just for me even though our season was done.”

This strong bond will only grow as Serban is eligible to return to the Thunderbirds this fall, even though he has signed a pro contract. With the Whitecaps FC2 season ending in early September, things line up nicely for both Serban and the ‘Birds, who will benefit greatly from the return of one of their most dynamic players.

In the mean time, Serban will continue his quest of cracking the Whitecaps first team MLS roster by continuing to put in work with the WFC2. A natural right back, Serban has seen time at left back with his new team, which has forced some adjustments.

“I think just improving so I’m completely comfortable being able to use any foot at any time,” said Serban. “And of course working on my physicality and being able to match the strong guys that they have in the MLS.”

Serban’s development is a strong sign for all the programs involved. Whitecaps FC2 has a poster child for its plan to develop promising local prospects, and Mike Mosher’s Thunderbirds have yet another success story to add to their impressive run as a program. For the youngsters hoping to follow in Serban’s footsteps, he has a simple message:

“Work your hardest, always be focused, don’t take any training lightly.”

After years of following this mantra, Serban has himself a pro contract, and finds himself on a path that most 19 year olds can only dream about.