'We have the talent': Football eyes the prize at the midpoint

We're halfway through the T-Bird's record-breaking football season. Here's how they are doing and what to look forward to.

For Thunderbirds Football, 2023 has been a year of new records.

A 4–0 start for the first time since 1992. A win at Homecoming for the first time since 2017. Now, as they hit the midway point of the season, they have their eyes set on one more record— their first Hardy Cup victory since 2015.

Aside from stumbling in a 34–31 loss to Saskatchewan, the ‘Birds have cruised through the opening stretch of the season. Their four wins this season have come by an average margin of victory of 27 points, demonstrating the immense potential the team has.

Their offence has been led by star quarterback Garrett Rooker. He has been the season's best passer in Canada West (CW), leading all starting quarterbacks in passing yards, touchdowns and completion percentage. These numbers are even more impressive considering Rooker is returning from a dislocated and fractured hip suffered nearly a year ago.

Head coach Blake Nill lauded his quarterback’s effort, especially after his homecoming performance.

“We were making plans that he would not be available to us until midseason. For Garrett to come out, make the plays that he’s made with relatively little rust… I just think it speaks strongly about his work ethic to get ready, his mental determination to overcome that injury and his talent.”

Alongside Rooker, running back Isaiah Knight and receiver Sam Davenport have both been major contributors to the 'Birds' explosive offence. In all of CW, Knight is second in rushing yards, while Davenport leads the conference with 464 receiving yards.

On the defence, a major focus has been on young players in key positions. Nill said this is a point of improvement for the team that will hopefully be solved with more experience.

“I think it's just a matter of some of our younger athletes stepping up and putting more to their potential," said Nill. "We lost three of our best [defensive] players from 2022 to the CFL, and we need guys to fill those voids."

But this young defence has stepped up to the challenge, holding opponents to under 20 points in each of their first three games. Linebacker Ryan Baker has been a key part of this defensive success, leading the team in tackles while also grabbing an interception.

UBC is currently in a deadlock at the top of the conference, tied with Saskatchewan and Alberta with 4–1 records. With all three universities playing some of their best football, the competition for the Hardy Cup will be fierce this year. Through five games, the promise this team has shown has been tantalizing, and expectations for the rest of the season are sky-high.

For Nill, it will all come down to execution.

“I thought my 2010 team in Calgary was very athletic. I thought my 2001 team at St. Mary's was incredible. This year reminds me of those two programs," said Nill. "We have the talent. It's a matter of execution. When the time comes, how are we going to execute to our fullest ability?”

Both Nill's 2001 and 2010 teams made appearances in the U Sports football championship game, the Vanier Cup.

National greatness is the bar that has been set for this group, and the pieces are all in place for a special season. Whether they can cap it off with Canada’s ultimate prize, only time will tell.