Davis Cup: by the numbers

The Davis Cup World Group tie between Canada and Japan is set to get underway at 2 p.m. this afternoon. Here's our 'by the numbers' event primer to help get you ready for the 'World Cup of Tennis.'

1900: The year the Davis Cup began, although the idea was conceived a year earlier by four members of the Harvard University tennis team. The first tournament was held at the Longwood Cricket Club in Boston.

1913: The first time Canada participated.

126: The number of countries entered in the 2015 Davis Cup.

16: The number of countries in the top-ranked ‘World Group’.

4: The number of players per team.

5,200: The seating capacity at UBC's Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre for tennis events. It is expected to be full all three days of the Davis Cup this weekend.

4: Kei Nishikori's current world ranking, the highest ever by a Japanese man.

6: Milos Raonic's current world ranking, the highest ever by a Canadian man.

9: The number of ATP World Tour events Raonic played before reaching world ranking number 37, which at that point was the highest ever by a Canadian in men's singles.

25: Vasek Pospisil's highest world ranking, achieved in January 2014 before he dropped to number 62 following a bout of injuries.

3: The number of languages Pospisil speaks fluently: English, Czech and French.

1: The number of all-Canadian tennis finals in ATP history. Raonic defeated Pospisil in straight sets in the 2014 Citi Open final in Washington, D.C.

174: The number of tennis counts in the City of Vancouver, where Pospisil first began training as a junior.

8, 2, and 5: The seeds of the doubles teams Pospisil and American partner Jack Wood beat en route to the 2014 Wimbledon final. The unseeded dup then upset the defending champions, the Bryan brothers, to win their first title. It would have been the Bryan twins' 99th.

1972: Daniel Nestor's year of birth.

22: The number of years Nestor has played in the Davis Cup for Canada.

1990: The year both Raonic and Pospisil were born. Both have yet to reach their 25th birthday.

968: Career wins for Nestor as a professional tennis player.

8: Grand Slam doubles titles for Nestor, who also won an Olympic gold medal in Sydney.

2012: The year Nestor was awarded an honorary doctorate degree from York University.

$7,733,826: The amount of prize money Raonic has made since turning pro in 2008.

249.9: The speed, in kilometres per hour, of Raonic's fastest recorded tennis serve -- the fifth fastest in history.

6: The number of times Raonic and Nishikori have played each other in their careers. Nishikori leads 4-2.

259: The number of minutes it took for Nishikori to claim a five-set victory over Raonic at the 2014 US Open. The match didn't finish until 2:26 a.m.

$35: The approximate cost of a student ticket for one day of Davis Cup action.