Vote NO for the WUSC referendum

“For the price of a cup of coffee or a slice of pizza, you can support eight human beings to come to the amazing country and university we live and study in,” said Jenna Omassi. 

I agree you can. However, you also could help build wells in Africa, schools in Central America, send sporting goods to First Nations communities or help with earthquake relief. The list goes on. There are plenty of noble causes to donate your money to and plenty of organizations. What makes one better than the other to the extent that all students will fund it? I'm not sure. Read Omassi's article and find there is little to justify WUSC UBC over any other cause.

In an ideal world, you would donate to every cause that appeals to you. But in this world, we have a limit of time and money. So why should WUSC UBC dictate that you donate your limited money to them? Are you not capable of choosing which causes are most worthy based on your opinions? You should have the ability to voice your opinion via donation as you see fit.

Unfortunately, that ability has already been slightly taken away as this forced donation already exists. This question seeks to take the choice away from you even more. Vote NO to prevent further erosion of your choice. A yes vote will force you to double your support to WUSC UBC.

Now, I am sure they do good work and are worth donating to. So by all means, donate to them after reading this article. Or don't. Find a different group that helps refugees — there are many. The choice is yours.

By voting NO, you will maintain the ability to choose were your cup of coffee goes. Donating to charity is a personal decision and everyone will come to an answer their own way. But that way should not be because you are forced to. It should literally be any other way you want to spend the price of a cup of coffee. Never donate to charity, donate every last dollar you own, volunteer instead or start your own. The choice should remain yours, not WUSC UBC's.

I agree with Omassi on the last point. More needs to be done for refugees. But it should come from UBC administration, the government and voluntary donations.

Donating is a personal decision and should remain with the individual student, not be imposed upon them. Vote NO. And after that, consider doing some research and donating what you can to who you want.