VP Finance candidates square off on AMS fiscal management

VP Finance candidates Will Pigott and incumbent Mateusz Miadlikowski met on Tuesday night to debate on how to deal with the AMS' fiscal responsibilities in the upcoming year.

The first topic introduced was the budget deficit the society is currently operating under. Pigott suggested a dramatic overhaul of the entire fiscal management system, accusing the last year's AMS Council of being wasteful with money.

“Hopefully we’ll see businesses succeed and the AMS return to a somewhat balanced budget," said Pigott. "I hope that I can be the person to guide us through this project, the new SUB, and it’ll hopefully work as a bit of a saviour for the AMS finances."

Pigott criticized the current AMS, saying multiple times that his administration would not “spend money to spend money.” Advocating for a more conservative approach to society spending, Pigott hopes that a movement away from risky expenditures might allow for a greater safety net in case of emergency.

Miadlikowski seemed unbothered by his competitor's criticism as he explained that the role of VP Finance included keeping AMS businesses accountable of their projection. He sidestepped the issue of the current deficit and brought up other sources of revenue, such as the recent sale of the Whistler Lodge.

“Our AMS needs to ask for permission not forgiveness,” said Pigott, as he claimed that AMS could take a more preventative approach when seeking places of investment.

Next, the candidates moved on to talk about new management software to be introduced to the AMS.

Miadlikowski described the steps that are currently being taken to transition into the system, including discussions with club executives and other AMS groups that will be affected by the new software.

Pigott disagreed with Miadlikowski's system, suggesting that elected representatives should be hired to implement this software, and that the transition shouldn't be rushed.

"This will take time; there will be bugs," said Pigott. "I would make it my goal to [transition into the software] over the entire year."

If elected, Pigott said he would remain dedicated to the position and work carefully to ensure the best for the society.

“I will be that person who will always have my door open," said Pigott. “I like operating on little sleep. More reasons to drink coffee.”

Later, Miadlikowski reminded Pigott of some of the other roles and functions of the VP Finance, specifically the position of ensuring that clubs with lofty expectations meet more realistic goals.

“The role of VP Finance [is] to say, 'listen, I’m so sorry but we cannot afford that, it’s not feasible,’" said Miadlikowski, jogging voters' memories of all the work he has begun in his last year in office, and vowing to continue these projects if re-elected.

The candidates will be meeting again at the Great Debate on March 10 in the SUB Ballroom.