University Neighbourhoods Association to pay for fire protection services for community

The province has levied an additional $1 million yearly fee against the University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA), a municipal council for the local areas on campus, to pay for fire protection services. Since this amount makes up a large percentage of the UNA’s yearly budget — which is approximately $4.5 million — UBC is stepping in to help manage this fee.

Previously the province paid for all fire protection services in the area, however, it was recently decided that the residential neighbourhoods surrounding UBC would need to pay an additional fee. Such a fee is already paid by other BC residential jurisdictions, including the University Endowment Lands. 

This year, the fire protection fee will amount to $500,000. From the the 2017/18 budget year, the fee will rise to and stay at an amount of approximately $1 million a year

For this year's $500,000 fee, UBC will be contributing $250,000, and the UNA’s Board will vote to approve paying that same amount in September. However, on a yearly basis the UNA will contribute $70,000 to the $1 million fee, with UBC paying the rest.  

"From the UNA’s perspective, is perfectly manageable," said Richard Alexander, the UNA's Board Chair.

"The university, [UBC's] Properties Trust and the UNA have been working together to find a way that that download of cost from the province for fire protection in the neighbourhoods only is managed so that it doesn’t impact resident taxes and it doesn’t impact neighbourhood service levels," explained Michael White of UBC’s Campus and Community Planning

This work has cumulated in the Joint Financial Task Force, created by UBC and the UNA. The task force is currently "exploring opportunities for the UNA to raise new revenues and to save costs without reducing resident service levels," according to their website

"[The full $1 million] would have bankrupted us," said Alexander. "The UNA’s position is that in principle, we do not object to paying for fire protection services. However, our position was that … we are already paying sufficient money [through standard residential tax amounts] to fund fire and police protection services."

"I think the point of debate in the community is that some members of the community feel that the amount that they pay already should cover fire costs, and the province says that there is insufficient tax collected to cover fire costs from residents," said White. "And that’s why they’re asking for this additional amount."

Regardless, the standards and expectations of fire services in BC will still remain the same, making the only change the percentage of the overall cost that the UNA will pay. The level and quality of service provided as well as individual tax levels for those in the area will not be impacted.