UBC Speaks Up trying to break the silence around mental health

Although mental illness affects almost one in every five university students, according to the American College Health Association, it is among the most silent of health disorders.

Like many other leading universities, UBC can create a lot of pressure for students to juggle academics, extracurriculars and a social life. Many people feel as though they cannot admit the affects that pressure is having on their well-being.

The Mental Illness Network for Destigmatization (MIND) is trying to end the trend of silence around mental illness. Meghan Smith is one of five UBC medical students behind MIND. Smith has vested interest in mental health advocacy not only because of the science surrounding it, but also from a family history of mental health conditions. Smith started MIND when she began medical school at UBC after having created a similar project at Harvard while doing her undergraduate degree.

“I wanted to do it at UBC because it had been quite successful at Harvard…. The community had really benefited from it and a lot individuals were willing to speak openly,” said Smith.

MIND's upcoming project is called "UBC Speaks Up." The UBC Speaks Up website, which will be launched in early October during Mental Health Awareness Week, will feature videos of UBC students talking about their personal experiences with mental health issues and mental illness.

“The idea is to get faculty, students and staff speaking openly about struggling with [mental health conditions] ... and to promote resources available to individuals who are struggling,” said Smith.

Many UBC undergrad and grad students, including AMS president Aaron Bailey, are taking part in UBC Speaks Up by sharing their stories through videos.

“The primary goal is to let people know they are not alone, that other people are out there struggling just like they are, that there are resources out there to help them and if they seek those resources things will get better,” said Smith.

Smith hopes that by beginning a dialogue on mental health at UBC, “People will start to recognize mental illnesses as real medical conditions, which they are, and will seek treatment in a timely fashion and not feel ashamed about doing so.”

Changing the stigma around mental illness is not just a challenge for those suffering from it, but also an effort for the whole UBC community. Smith hopes that both those struggling with mental health and those who aren’t will feel comfortable starting the conversation even by simply asking someone how they’re doing.