Starting a club at UBC: preparation and passion required

While there are already a multitude of clubs on campus suited to a wide array of different people, it can be a daunting process to start your own club at UBC.

There are five main steps involved in starting an AMS club. First, students need to submit their application — which includes a petition with 50 signatures — before that term's deadline. Then, hopefuls have to attend the inaugural general meeting where members will have to adopt a constitution and club bylaws. After that, club executives must meet with the Student Administrative Commission (SAC), attend a new club orientation, get their treasurer authorized and finally, submit a reflection on all the events they have attended as a part of the process.

There are a number of common roadblocks or mistakes that some people who want to start clubs might have to overcome, according to AMS VP Administration Chris Scott.

“I think some of the most common mistakes are essentially checking to make sure that a club application is unique,” said Scott. “We already have [around] 400 clubs and so there are a lot of things that already exist out there.”

In the second term of last year, a new process for starting a club was introduced. The new program includes an orientation and it is now also necessary to send in a written application so that the AMS can make sure a club is unique and well thought-out.

“When I came to UBC in my first year, I got some of my friends to make hula hoops with me and [together] made a club,” said Danika Hammond, the president and founder of the UBC Hula Hooping Club. “When I went into second year ... we had made it into an AMS club which basically took a few of us, making sure that we had enough signatures and doing the presentation to [the] AMS.”

Arjun Hair, co-president of the UBC Photosoc — one of the oldest clubs on campus — also stressed that starting a club with only one person is a difficult process.

“Nobody can start a club on their own,” said Hair. “You need to build a team of people that you trust and can rely on. Then with that team, you just need to figure out what is required from you and do it.”

The Student Life and Sustainability Centre (SLSC) is one resource available on campus for students looking to start a club.

“The Student life and Sustainability Centre is a resource for all clubs, not just new clubs," said Scott. “It is also going to act as the new hub — if clubs have questions [and want to ask anything], they can ask it there.”

Several clubs thought that having a specific goal and image of what you want your club to achieve is crucial to the process. 

“Having a vision for your club is very important,” said James Wong, the other co-president of the UBC Photosoc. “[Go] with what works best for your club and what works best for UBC students. Bringing up the logistics of all that stuff is crucial too.”

Club leaders also stressed the importance of perseverance and dedication.

“Starting a new club should never be a chore — it should be a passion,” said Alex Yao, the president of the UBC Origami club, which was founded in 2008. “Even if you’re the founder or president, you shouldn’t have to keep up the position just because you have to. It should be because you want to.”

Most importantly, one common thread between all these clubs that helps tie them together was that each one started because the individuals forming them were genuinely invested in them.