Sprouts re-opens, despite ongoing renovation challenges

Sprouts Cafe, an affordable food and student-run organization, re-opened on September 25 amidst issues with building renovations.

Sprouts is located in the basement of the Life building and, due to construction of the new recreation centre beginning in fall 2022, has had its space reduced in half.

“When construction for the new recreation center initially began, half of Sprouts was demolished without any consultation with anyone involved at Sprouts,” said Sprouts Co-President Khushi Patil.

“This has been an ongoing challenge, with a myriad of other issues arising as a result of our proximity to the construction site, such as heating problems, leakages and more,” said Patil.

Although Patil added being grateful for many of the issues being resolved, she is also looking forward to Sprouts being restored to its original size, “as [they] have been promised.”

Patil also said that it's been difficult to communicate with UBC as a group of students managing the cafe, as their availabilities often don't align with a nine-to-five time frame.

In terms of funding, which has been an issue in the past, $45,000 has been allocated in funding to Sprouts from the Student Health and Wellbeing fund, as well as $6,000 from the AMS.

Sprouts divides funding between their by-donation farmers’ market, 33 daily free meal coupons, produce and ingredients and other additional expenses that arise.

“Money used to literally come out of the pocket[s] of board members” Co-President Harper Johnston said, emphasizing that even if no funds were given to Sprouts by UBC they would find a way to continue to fill-in the food security gap on campus.

Despite these challenges, there is strong student support. Sprouts received 300 applications for general volunteers when there is just over 150 spots and 100 senior volunteer applications.

"We are all just here for each other and work for each other and support each other ... It's been such a joy to be part of," said Patil.

Khushi Patil is a contributor to The Ubyssey. She was not involved in the writing or editing of this piece.