Here are the referenda on the ballot for the 2020 AMS Elections

This year’s AMS elections will include two referenda put forward by AMS Council for all students to vote on from March 2 to 6.

Check out a summary of the questions here and stay tuned for our full explainer.

Changes to the AMS Bylaws

Ten amendments to AMS Bylaws have been proposed for this election, which includes extending active membership and services of the AMS to students enrolled in the first winter term, abolishing the Student Court and giving the AMS the power to create a new records policy. In order for a referendum to pass, it must garner two-thirds of the total votes from eight per cent of active AMS members in its favour.

The full detail of proposed changes can be found here, but the question as it appears on the ballot is:

Do you support and approve amending the AMS Bylaws in accordance with the changes presented in the document entitled Proposed Changes to AMS Bylaws?

Indigenous Seat on AMS Council

As part of the effort between the Indigenous committee and the AMS to ensure adequate representation for Indigenous students in student government, the society is proposing the addition of an Indigenous seat to its Council. The seat would make room for an Indigenous vote in the Council’s decision-making process.

The question as it appears on the ballot is:

Do you support and approve the creation of an Indigenous student seat on AMS Council by amending the AMS Bylaws in accordance with the changes presented in the document entitled AMS Bylaw Revisions 2020: Indigenous Seat on Council?