Man breaks into The Moon, walks away with cans of pop

At approximately 4 a.m. on Monday, March 30, a break-in occurred in the SUB.

An unidentified bald white male, wearing all black, a hat and a backpack, spent 45 minutes trying to break into The Moon, the Chinese restaurant in the basement of the old SUB. He spent another 45 minutes inside, trying to pry into cabinets in the outlet.

Shaun Wilson, head of AMS Security, said that no major damage was done to equipment and no major valuables were taken, but that the cooler doors were left open, and noodles were all over the floor.

“Upon viewing the CCTV footage that we have of security cameras in the building it was determined that someone had broken into the SUB by force in the morning by forcefully breaking over the door and then broke into The Moon and spent about an hour and a half attacking the place and left with a bunch of soft drinks,” said Wilson.

Wilson said since the coolers were left open, the restaurant decided to discard all of the food kept inside them. The total value of the food is still being calculated.

“We are working with building operations to reinforce the entry that was broken into,” said Wilson. “There was quite a bit of force used to break in. We’ll be going forward working with campus security with more patrols around the SUB after hours and we’re also double-checking if any other reinforcements can be given to the doorways of the SUB with the building being so old.”

The cash registers in The Moon were empty and all valuable equipment was either locked away or bolted down. Wilson said the restaurant also received a special cleaning after the break in.

According to Wilson, nobody was harmed and nothing of value was stolen.

“Unless he was able to get hold of The Moon’s secret wing recipe, there’s not a lot he would have been able to get away with,” said Wilson.