Candidate profile: Hassan Packir, President

Hassan Packir worked in Aaron Bailey’s office last year and could often being found singing “anything you can do, I can do better.” Eventually he sung it so much that someone suggested he run for AMS president. He enjoys coffee, long walks on the beach, cat gifs and Abae jokes.

Describe your platform.

As they say, one small step for man is one larger step for a smaller man. For me as an averagely [sic] sized individual, this would be a medium step in hopefully the right direction. My platform says we want for synergy for the AMS [and] fewer paradigms, but still more integration[ and] yet fewer buzzwords. I think I am the person to accomplish it, really looking to bring back perspective. It kind of reminds me of a Netflix video I watched, I can’t remember the name of it.

What sets you apart from your opposition?

I haven’t seen another website that points to a third-party website and so really showing that I can connect with other parties. The ability to connect other people and bring them together, I think that’s exactly what my website does. It brings together YouTube, musis and different images and gifs of cats.

What is something that predecessor did that you agreed with and what is something that they did that you disagree with?

Interesting question for sure and thank you for asking me. And I think that that’s my response.

Who is the most important body or person that you need to collaborate with in this position and how would you do that?

I think that the most important person you need to collaborate with, of course, are the people. I think if you want to see change happen, you have to exist in that world to become with it, as a student who better qualified to be the president than an actual student. Not to say that other candidates are not students, I’m definitely not saying that. But at the same time, I’m not saying that they definitely are students.

What is the weakest part of your campaign/platform?

I think the lack of a platform altogether is fairly weak, but at the same time a strength. I think people are scared of the fact that I don’t have a real platform, but the only thing we have to fear is our fear of fearing things. Right? And so I think there is a beauty in the fact that my campaign platform has nothing to go on and no legs to stand on, but at the same time that allows you to be dynamic and be malleable. So if someone says, “Can we have this in our platform?” the answer is, “Of course, yes. We can have this in our platform. There’s nothing in there yet.’ So I welcome all ideas and new ideas, especially any idea that isn’t not an idea.

Interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.