AMS months behind on posting minutes

The AMS has not posted Council meeting minutes since October 14, 2014, despite the minutes having been regularly approved at every Council meeting since then.

This is in direct violation of AMS Code which states that minutes must be posted in public within 48 hours of being approved by the AMS Council.

“Mostly that’s an ‘oops! Sorry folks!’” said Daniel Levangie, executive director of the AMS. “We’re way behind schedule.”

The process for posting notes is two-fold: at each Council meeting two note-takers take down minutes, then these two copies are combined for clarity and to ensure nothing is missed. The polished minutes are then posted on the AMS website.

“Basically it just takes a while and we’re backlogged,” Levangie said. “Anybody can access the information so if they want to see what’s been said, Sheldon [Goldfarb, the AMS archivist] has all the raw, unfinished, unpolished minutes. It’s more that we’re backlogged for getting them finalized. They all exist, they just haven’t been polished up.”

Levangie cited other projects -- such as the AMS centennial yearbook, and the new SUB opening -- as reasons for the backlog in posting.

“We recognize that it’s super important, and that obviously students care. If there was one student who was paying enough attention to notice then that’s awesome, that’s great news for us, people care.”

Levangie said that after the move to the new SUB is complete students can expect minutes to be posted in a more timely manner. “We have a new system set in place so that as soon as the projects have been completed … [it] will be more efficient and sharp in getting things turned around.”