What I love about Daylight Savings so far

Do I understand daylight savings? No, not really.

Do I love (hate) daylight savings? Yes, of course. Here’s why you should too.

The sun sets at 4 p.m.

For the next four months, be prepared for the sun to start sinking during what is basically late afternoon. Picture this: you’re on your way to Buchanan for your second class of the day. Dark grey clouds are circling overhead (because you’re in Vancouver), your patterned pink umbrella is fighting the unforgiving wind (because you’re in Vancouver) and the person in front of you makes it a point to stomp in every puddle they come across (because you’re at UBC). You look up, and through the ever-present drizzle in the air, you see the sun setting over the Rose (mostly just a couple branches and some soil at this point) Garden.

A few minutes later, you’re in a dimly lit classroom, you’re freezing and you realize the chair you’re sitting in is meant for left-handed people. What’s not to love?

The 8 a.m. sunrise makes all your classes early-morning classes

As the semester progresses, early morning classes are basically optional (it’s in the rulebook, I promise). And honestly, if you’re going to attend your 9 a.m. class just to spend it trying to hide yawns under a mask — that's discourteous to the professor. With the sun only showing up at 8 a.m., even 11 a.m. classes are considered ‘early morning,’ so the next time you can’t get yourself out of bed, don’t worry! You’ve always got a barely-functional recording on Panopto to fall back on.

Days are shorter, nights are longer

Do you struggle with going to sleep before 3am? Do you rely on coffee to get you through the day? This semester, get ready to say goodbye to sleep-deprivation, because a longer night equals more sleep *insert meme of guy tapping his head.*

The human body is conditioned to produce melatonin in darkness, so if you start to feel like 7 p.m. is a decent bedtime, that's not your fault. Trust me, I took eighth grade biology.

When there’s no sun to shine through the clouds, you have to make up your own silver linings — so with this cheery outlook on the quickly-constricting day, carpe noctem!