UBC Rec free week brings new classes to the Coop

Last week UBC Rec was offering free entry to all their fitness classes — note, this might be the only time you will ever see “UBC” and “free” in the same sentence. So like any well-trained, thrifty university student, I decided to take advantage of this opportunity and try out some of the most popular classes. It was definitely a great way to take advantage of some of the awesome classes offered on campus and get moving for summer.

Power Cycle

Suffering from that mid-day slump? Try Power Cycle to make it through the rest of the day. I had some doubts about the cramped, dark room, which lacks the elite features that establishments like SoulCycle boast. However, I loved that I got a full-body workout in 45 minutes at a fraction of the cost! This is definitely not the class you want to show up to without deodorant, so get ready to sweat as you move to the beat of Latin club hits.

P.S. Don’t forget to bring a towel!

Final verdict: 8/10

Street kickboxing

Kick-start your morning with this high-intensity class — I was looking forward to it all week and it did not disappoint. It started off with an intense warm-up that had me panting within minutes. We were then paired up and instructed to grab punching bags as we practiced our first stance. The feeling of concentrating all my energy into one swift kick as I pounded my foot against the mat was so satisfying. This class is definitely worth the early wake-up call and would be perfect to take with a friend!

Final verdict: 10/10

Butt and Guts

Don’t be fooled by the mild warm-up for this class — it started with a few exercises that reminded of a water aerobics class that my grandmother would take. Just when it started to feel like a walk in the park, the instructor picked up the pace with high reps of jumping squats and lunges. Although I left with sore glutes, we did not focus on the core, as the name suggested.

Final verdict: 6/10

Early Riser Bootcamp

Don’t hit the snooze button on this class! After dragging myself out of bed, I had to run to make it on time. This class was a full-body workout that used a rotating station model. The instructor walked everyone through a series of exercises that targeted multiple muscle groups, with modifications for all fitness levels. If you’re like me and always forget to stretch, you’ll appreciate the guided cool-down to help prevent injuries and soreness.

Final verdict: 9/10

50/50 Pilates Yoga

This was a great way to decompress after a stressful day. The well-lit studio with floor to ceiling windows provided the perfect atmosphere for this tranquil class. Don’t get me wrong, though, I still got an intense workout. Within minutes, my legs began shaking as I struggled to maintain my form. Luckily, the instructor provided modifications for all experience levels and everyone was invited to go at their own pace. She summed it up best: “If it was too easy it’s going to get harder, and if it was too hard you’re going to get stronger.” Also, UBC Rec recently introduced four different pass options that give you access to all yoga and pilates classes for the entire term.

Final verdict: 9/10