Turn your FOMO into JOMO

We’ve all been there: holed up in your room for whatever reason, scrolling through Instagram and swiping through stories of all 500 people you follow. That’s a lot of information to process at once and sometimes, just sometimes, it can be quite overwhelming. No shame here, I’ve experienced it from time to time — and it becomes especially difficult during the start or the end of the term, when everything’s mellowed down and people return to their party animal selves.

Now, let me get one thing straight. It’s perfectly normal to be alone during the weekends. You’ve been socializing for five days straight so being alone is alright. Being a social party animal is also great for you extroverts — whatever floats your boat.

Here are some steps you could potentially take to experience less fear of missing out (FOMO) and turn it into joy of missing out (JOMO).

Learn to enjoy your company

If you’re feeling up to it, take a bus downtown or wherever. Put on a pair of earphones and just jam to some music. Imagine you’re in your own music video and look out the window. Enjoy the scenery. Once you reach downtown, just take a walk — walking down Granville is immensely relaxing. Walking with just you, yourself and your mind alone amidst the hustle and bustle really put things into perspective.

For a night in, put on your favourite movie, grab a cup of hot cocoa, a cozy blanket and some snacks. Do anything you’d do while hanging out with friends — it’s the same but less pressure. You’re your own bestie.

Stay off social media for a bit

If social media is sometimes your trigger, try staying off of it for a while. A lot of us sometimes get caught up in the constant notifications and this really shortens our attention span too. Once you’re able to control your social media habits, you’ll learn there’s so much more out there to explore.

Know that everyone is on their own track.

Everyone is different. Some people relax by partying, some relax by hanging out and some just want to hang out with themselves. But someone else partying doesn’t and will never reduce your self-worth. You’re your own person and you’re on your own track. Remember: comparison is the thief of joy.

Set aside ‘me’ time

I know everyone has a hectic schedule, but try to set aside some time everyday — it could just be 10 to 30 minutes — where you focus on you and you only. In this time, you’d be able to learn to appreciate yourself, so when it comes to the weekends and if you’re alone, it isn’t anything new.

These tips have really helped me overcome FOMO that I experience from time to time, so I hope they help you too! Remember, you’re on your own unique journey, so comparing — although sometimes inevitable — is not worth your time! Lastly, when it all gets too overwhelming, vent it out to someone. It could be your residence advisor, parent, close friend or even the wall. Getting it out is always better than bottling it all up!

But a kind reminder — when you need to — schedule a catch up session with your closest friends who completely get you and enjoy a night of togetherness. Socializing isn’t always a bad thing!