The spookiest places on campus to test your bravery at this Halloween

With Halloween coming up, you might find yourself looking off campus for spooky events that make this time of year so fun. But fear not! There are plenty of spooky sites right here on campus that will help you get in the Halloween spirit.

Visit the Nest on a weekend

The Nest is an energetic hub of student life during the weekdays, but come Fridays at 5 p.m., the building becomes eerily quiet. You’ll feel disoriented, confused and afraid as your brain tries to remedy the quiet ambiance with what you know to be a usual life and energy of the space.

Pause at any construction site on campus

Currently, there are 10 construction sites on the UBC campus. A late-night excursion to any one will be a haunting experience, as your eyes distort cranes and pipes into menacing ghouls and monsters and you consider how construction might affect your shortcuts to class. And who even knows what they’re building.

Attend your prof’s office hours

Office hours, be they student-less or crowded with the panicked and confused, offer you the perfect opportunity to experience either the haunting feelings of neglect and abandonment or the frenzy of panic amongst your peers. Attend office hours and get your questions answered and yourself frightened!

Stroll Main Mall after dark

Wait till the tourists are gone and Tim’s is closed, while the Canadian flag in the Flagpole Plaza stands tall in the chill of the night. Devoid of students, Main Mall turns ghostly. Walking through it alone will give you the heebie-jeebies.

Take the forest walk past Hawthorne Place

If you’ve ever taken the scenic route to Thunderbird Stadium through Main Mall, you might have walked through Hawthorne Place. Walk further down towards the large and looming trees on a dark, foggy night alone or with your boo — pun intended.

Patrol Marine Drive searching for the Vanishing Hitchhiker

Legend says that on October nights, a young woman hitchhikes along the drive and asks those who pick her up to drive her home. Rescuers drive to her address, only to discover upon arrival that she has disappeared! She is, according to legend, the ghost of a young UBC student killed many years ago on her way home from a Halloween party. Take a jaunt along Marine Drive in search of the hitchhiker and see for yourself if the stories are true.