A letter to my long-distance friend

Dear long-distance friend,

As we live our beautiful, messy and chaotic lives thousands of kilometres apart, I wanted to take a brief moment out of my day to write to you.

It feels like only yesterday, we shared conspiring glances across a table from each other, laughing together at the latest piece of gossip to reach our ears.

But, today, towering landforms and vaste bodies of water stand between us. And, in the blink of an eye, we went from seeing each other for hours every week to once a year, if we’re lucky enough to be in the same city. I look back fondly on those times — sad to be so far apart these days, but grateful for the moments we shared.

Friendships require nurturing and care — two things infinitely easier when you’re sharing the same spaces daily. I miss doing the mundane with you: walking into the same clubroom every Friday evening, laying on your couch while we chatted away, staring at the same board and walking the same halls. These small inconsequential moments are some of my most missed.

It is easy to see how promises to keep in touch can fade as our lives keep churning forwards. Most of my old friendships rarely extinguished themselves with a crescendo, more often than not, the only sign of their demise was a slowing stream of communication as we grew older and apart.

But, worry not, you’re more than worth the effort.

I’m always rooting for you from afar, I see your success and I celebrate your wins. I’m so proud of your growth and your accomplishments.

I love hearing about the latest news during our virtual catch ups — whether that is weekly, bi-weekly or even monthly knowing how busy we are.

Our friendship may have trivial roots, and perhaps in another universe we never cross paths, but I can't help but express my gratitude to you.

I eagerly await receiving your next card in my mailbox. My memento box is already filled with all the words you’ve sent me already. I haven't tossed a single card in years, even when moving around and growing up, I’ve lugged around this pile of cards filled with words of love.

Over the course of twenty-something years, I’ve lost and found so many iterations of you, yet I continue to cherish every memory of you.

I’ll see you soon, where and when are still up in the air, but we’ll see each other.

Until then, take care.

Your friend,

Renée