Pride 2016 in review: what was accomplished and what remains to be done

As regular attendees of the Vancouver Pride Parade might know, this has not been the first time that Justin Trudeau has marched in the Pride Parade. He has been coming since 2014, but this is his first year attending as Canada’s Prime Minister. It is the first time that a sitting PM has not only attended, but marched at the forefront of a Pride Parade. This comes hot off the heels of Trudeau’s similar participation in Toronto’s parade on July 3rd. 

Yet, as far as the chance to see Justin Trudeau was a good prospect to draw Vancouverites out to the parade for the first time, plenty of other headlines also surrounded this year’s festivities — good and bad alike.

For starters, the question could be asked why a Prime Minister is making a point to participate in a social movement. One might attribute this to what the Georgia Straight calls Trudeau’s “image-building exercises” on Canada’s behalf. Not just the expected routine visiting of other world leaders, but appearing in some odd and very noticeable places — from the cover of a Marvel comic to a shoot for Vogue magazine and even as a candid shirtless passersby at a wedding.

As much as some accuse him of shirking his duties of office by conducting such high-profile publicity, these appearances — from the Pride Parades up to his current visits to (and criticism of) China — serve the purpose of “making Canada cool again” in the eyes of the world. Our “rock star” leader is allowing us to be applauded for our social progressiveness, our diplomatic openness, our cultural savvy.

Back in May, Trudeau starred in a Destination Canada advertisement with celebrity chef Kristen Kish. His appearance, again, attracted a great deal of controversy for seeming to break a Liberal policy regarding partisan advertising, which the party then refuted. As the two discuss Canadian food culture, Trudeau says, “It is a challenge to fall into what is typical Canadian food because there is no typical Canadian.” Perhaps, in every appearance he makes, Trudeau is asking Canada to celebrate its diversity — an idea to which Pride is no stranger.

Additionally, amid the happy rainbow floats of community organizations and truck after truck of dancing go-go boys — apparently fewer and farther between this year — the continued presence of the Vancouver Police, in the march and surrounding it, and the resulting absence of Black Lives Matter (BLM) Vancouver might have drawn the attention of some. Their boycott came after a series of escalating statements made by various parties.

First, the Vancouver Pride Society — in charge of organizing Vancouver Pride — wrote an open response to a sit-in at the Toronto parade by that city’s BLM organization. There, a list of demands was signed by the parade’s organizers, including a stipulation that police floats would not be marching in future parades.

With reference to this, Vancouver’s Pride Society again stressed the necessity of a partnership with law enforcement in their events and restated their intention to create a “safe and welcome” atmosphere for all attendees. 

In their letter, they mentioned their efforts to reach out to BLM-Vancouver, perhaps in hopes that a compromise could be negotiated. Then, in response, came an open letter stating that Black Lives Matter would be abstaining from the parade this year, opting instead to participate in the more political Dyke March, to which they were invited as Grand Marshal.

They referred to the original purpose of the Pride march, pointing back to the Stonewall Riots of 1969 and emphasizing the march’s nature as an act of protest against the institution of the police. 

In the following period of correspondence between BLM, the Police Department and the Vancouver Pride Society, it was thus agreed that this year that the police would not be bringing an armoured truck to the parade. For BLM-Vancouver’s co-founder, Ms. Cecily-Belle Blain, “that [was] really symbolic, that people are listening.”

Following the Orlando shootings, the police presence at Pride-related events has increased and this year’s parade was no exception. Even at BLM-V’s own vigil for the shootings, “a basic police presence [was] successfully negotiated.”

However, according to BLM-V’s open letter, “having the Vancouver Police Department on the ground to perform a civil service is understandable. Having the institution participate on a float in the organized festivities of the actual parade is inappropriate and insulting to those who came before us to make Pride celebrations possible.”

The debate thus continues, as Dyke March spokeswoman Christine Osgood states, concerning “how queer spaces often marginalize queer folks of colour.” It will remain for next year’s parade to decide whether or not either organization will continue to participate.

On a more positive note, in both the parade and the subsequent Sunset Beach Festival, trans equality was given a more prominent voice. According to one attendee, not only the rainbow flag, but several other flags representing different members of the community were flown during the parade including one representing transgender equality.

This comes after the launch of Vancouver Pride Society’s “Trans Equality Now” campaign that was barely two months old at the time of 2015’s Parade, but a strong presence in that of 2016, with strong achievements in trans equality achievements to boot. At last year’s parade, the campaign required that all participating floats sign a pledge in favour of trans equality legislation — a step smiled upon by many proponents.

This year’s crowd at the Beach Festival sent up cheers after hearing of the advancements since last year. To add to what had already been done municipally for accommodation of transgender citizens in schools and parks, provincial legislation had been passed protecting gender identity — a previously unmentioned qualifier — from discrimination under the BC Human Rights Code.

The BC NDP’s Spencer Chandra Herbert had attempted to get the bill passed three times prior, but this year the BC Liberal Party joined seven other provinces in enshrining those rights.When the speaker expressed her wish to see transgender rights protected federally by the same time next year, the cheers erupted even more loudly than before.

In their open letter, Vancouver Pride states its belief that “Pride is not only a celebration. It is political and it is a protest.” Underneath the uplifting sentiments of solidarity that surround the parade and its festivities, there have been subtle reminders this year that there is still plenty to overcome and plenty of dialogue to be had.

However, as political as these controversies may seem, the turnout at the parade of people from various walks of life and the general good time everyone seemed to be having must have made everything worthwhile. Floats and observers alike were garbed in colour and determined to celebrate despite the summer sun. One attendee stated that “Pride was the one time the queer community felt completely okay to express themselves.” Indeed, somewhere on the spectrum from outrageous drag regalia to skimpy neon briefs, everyone seemed able to claim their unique place and cheer with their unique voice.