Predicting spring trends at Vancouver Fashion Week

Fashion is a language that is shared by all, but not necessarily understood by everyone. 

Films like The Devil Wears Prada and the price of high-fashion clothes may act as a deterrent to some, but the industry isn’t as intimidating and inaccessible as it may seem. Fashion is actually very easy to understand, all you need is to know are the current trends and how you can make them work. 

Thankfully, Vancouver Fashion Week was last week and from the front row we could see what's to come in the next few seasons. By taking the styles from the runways and integrating them into your daily wardrobe, you can ensure that you will stand out and look fashionable without too much effort. 

Accessorizing

The key to making any look shine lies in the accessories. For example, a pair of sunglasses can literally lift any look and make it chic. Opt for unconventional shapes and frames that will instantly make you high fashion. Keep watches simple and try to stay within the gold, silver or black colour schemes. Hats are especially great for winter! Look for faux fur Russian style hats as they scream elegance on both guys and girls. 

Minimalism

This trend has been recurring on runways for a few years now. It’s a simple concept which stays away from over the top prints and designs. Stick to solid earth tone colours such as mustard, browns, greys, navy, pumpkin and of course the colour of the year — marsala (maroon). You can also incorporate geometric shapes into your look to polish it off.

Fabric Choices: 

Along with incorporating trends, also try to be conscious of the fabric choices you use. Opt for fabrics that contain structure — loose and flimsy clothing can often look messy and unpolished. When trying to dress it up, make sure your clothing looks stiff and sharp. A super easy way to dress up for the holidays is with velvet. For guys, try dressing up with velvet blazers and ladies, a simple velvet dress will be ultra fab. 

The 70’s are back! 

So bust out that fringe and acid washed denim because this trend will be everywhere next spring. The 70’s aesthetic has now been shown in designer collections in all the major fashion weeks. Lucky for us, shopping for vintage clothing is cheap since we can shop at thrift stores – you don’t need to buy from expensive designer brands to look trendy.

The most important trend of all is staying true to you. No matter how fancy your outfit is, your personality will always outshine it. So wear what makes you happy even if it doesn’t make sense to others because, in the end, fashion is art and so are you.