Life after the U-Pass: how to get around Vancouver

Are you still lost two weeks after the U-Pass has left your Compass card? Me too. But believe it or not, there are other ways of getting around Vancouver so that you're not stuck in your basement suite all summer. It might be a struggle at first, but weaning yourself off the dependence of the U-Pass will feel routine before you know it.

Biking

Many correlate the absence of the U-Pass with a biking fitness challenge for that summer bod, saving precious bus fare in the process. But did you know that Vancouver ranks 46 in the world for the most bike-friendly city? With all the bike routes available, you can cruise for miles undisturbed while cars yield to you through a series of stop signs and roundabouts. It's pretty sweet. Plan your next adventure or daily commute with this map of Vancouver's bike roads and lanes! Don't have a bike? The Bike Kitchen doesn't just fix them, they also sell a reasonably priced variety that will appeal to your student budget. So what are you waiting for? Grab a helmet and rocket down some hills on your way Downtown.

Car sharing

Less expensive than a taxi and more convenient than waiting for the bus, car sharing in the city has never been better. Vancouver is experiencing a car sharing renaissance right now with numerous companies competing for your business. After a bit of research, find the one that will serve your needs for the best buck, start a membership and drive on my friends.

Here are maps of parking locations for Evo, Car2go, Zipcar and Modo where cars are reliably there waiting for you to cruise through Vancouver with the windows down. If you are one of the lucky few who actually have a car, then help your fellow students out and carpool for God's sake.

Actually paying for the bus

The days of the old register-for-one-class-and-then-withdraw-for-the U-Pass trick are gone. The coveted pass is now unavailable to students until they've paid their tuition and fees for the term. Many opt to simply surrender and pay for their bus fare instead of escape it. And that's okay! However, you need to know that Translink is slowly phasing out the coin fare and heavily encouraging the Compass card. A one-zone bus fare costs $2.75 by coin and $2.10 by Compass card. It's in your best interest to endure the two minutes it takes to load your Compass card online than to scour the couch cushions for change. To learn how to register and load your Compass card, click here.

Share to save a life: You don't need to tap out on busses, but you do on everything else! If you don't tap out, you will be charged for the maximum of three zones even if you stayed within one.