Best places to grab a cold beer in Vancouver this summer

Is there anything better than a beer on a hot summer’s day? I think not.

Now that it’s finally warm in Vancouver and classes are out — with exception to the dedicated summer students — it’s time to relax with an ice cold brew. Preferably on a patio. Overlooking the ocean. And mountains. Because that’s just the type of thing you can do in Vancouver.

If you want to go somewhere cheap:

The Colony — The Colony is super close to campus and only two short stops on the 99 route. The beers at the Colony are $4.50 to $6 and they host happy hour every Monday through Friday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. where beers are only $3.

The Parlour — While the food isn’t necessarily the cheapest at The Parlour, the beer sure is! Starting at $3 and ranging to $8, The Parlour has dozens of beers to choose from. Located down in Yaletown, this is the perfect place to go for some cheap beer in an otherwise ridiculously priced neighbourhood.

If you want to go somewhere with a view:

Tap and Barrel — Tap and Barrel is a little pricier in terms of beer, however the view you get is worth it. With three locations at Convention Centre, Olympic Village and Shipyards, they all have breathtaking views of the mountains and ocean — take advantage of it this summer. Also they all have patios, so they get a bonus.

Six Acres — Hidden away in Gastown with a great view of Gassy Jack's rear, it is easy to pass by this little gemstone. With cheap bar food to go along with the dozens of beer choices, Six Acres has the full Gastown vibe and is a great spot to try to really get a feel for the atmosphere.

If you want to go somewhere on a patio:

Biercraft — With a location right on campus, Biercraft is an excellent option for a big patio with cheap beers. They always have specials going on in addition to their fully stocked beer list and with their tasty treats, it’s easy to accidentally spend a few hours drinking here.

Darby's Pub — Up on the rooftop above Darby’s Liquor Store is a popular and casual spot with cheap and large beers. Also known as the best spot there can be, this spot has the view, the patio and the cheap beer all in one.

Happy happy hour UBC’ers.