PSA: How UBC community members can support Turkey, Syria relief effort

Earlier this week, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit southeastern Turkey near the Syrian border, leading to over 20,000 deaths and over 10,000 injuries in both countries as of Thursday.

Although UBC is almost 10,000 km from Turkey, many community members are finding ways to support the relief effort.

Here are some support resources students, faculty and staff can access during this time.

The Turkey Student Association (TSA)

The Turkey Student Association (TSA) is currently asking for monetary and supply donations.

People can donate money on the TSA’s GoFundMe or through the global AHBAP campaign.

The TSA also has a booth set up in front of THIRSTYYY in the Nest where it is collecting supplies, including blankets, winter clothing, canned food and first aid kits.

The TSA was previously asking for clothing donations, but is no longer accepting them due to “new regulations.” The booth will be in the Nest until Friday, February 10 at 6 p.m.

UBC’s Student Relief Fund for World Events

In a February 9 statement, UBC’s Vice-Provost, International pro tem Rumee Ahmed encouraged students to donate to the university’s Student Relief Fund.

According to its website, the fund is intended to provide students with “quick access to emergency funds.” Students who are in need of these funds should contact an Enrolment Services Advisor.

Students who want to donate to the fund can do so through the fund’s website.

UBC’s Employee & Family and Student Assistance Programs

These two assistance programs provide free 24/7 counselling services available for both students and faculty and staff. The Employee & Family Assistance Program is also available for university employee’s families and retirees and their families enrolled in the Retirement & Survivor Benefits Program.

Community members can use these programs for both immediate and short-term counselling.

These resources are also available through a mobile app linked on each program’s respective websites.

UBC also recommended students visit the Student Health website for other mental health and wellbeing resources in Ahmed’s February 9 statement.