The Dingbat: I became best friends with the ghost that haunts my dorm

I know that making friends in university is hard. Damn, I lucked out big time.

It all started last month when I would hear rustling in my dorm after hours. I thought, “huh, it must be my roommate.” I don’t have a roommate.

Maybe it was the wind. But, never would I ever expect the rustling to be my bestie, my partner-in-crime, my sister from another mister!

Next came the the screams. In the middle of the night, I’d wake up to blood-curdling screams. Talk about a party floor, right? Every night, like clockwork. It was so annoying! I would scream back because… the fuck? I have a midterm tomorrow.

I think she realized that she upset me because she started to do my laundry and clean my room. It was nice not having to deal with that. Sometimes she’d even do my math homework, which I’m not complaining about. I helped me get a 69 on my last assignment.

Nice.

Ever since then, we’ve been thick as thieves. We steal cutlery from Open Kitchen all the time. I don’t even live in Orchard Commons. It’s great!

When I cried about breaking up with my best friend from home, she comforted me. Yes, the next morning I woke up to a picture of said ex-best friend with the eyes scratched out on my bed but her mom said that she was only in critical condition for a little bit, so it’s like okay… whatever? She’s a jerk, anyway!

Knowing that Ghostina is in my corner makes me feel so safe. She’s got my back. And my friend’s eyes. But I don’t really pay that second thing too much mind.

Moving to university and making friends was something I was really afraid about, but I feel so much better knowing that I could do it!

I’m not a friendless loser like the girls on my floor say I am.

I’m just friends with a ghost who’ll never ghost me. Talk about breaking stereotypes, huh?

The Dingbat is The Ubyssey’s humour section. You can send pitches or completed pieces to blog@ubyssey.ca.