UBC student searches for mother reported missing since Monday

Yu Ting Ji, the mother of a UBC student athlete, has been missing since the morning of Monday, November 9.

Ji was last seen leaving Waterfront Station on Monday at 7:13 a.m. and camera footage last showed her at 7:19 a.m. walking past La Bella Gelateria.

Ji is a 53-year-old Chinese woman with brown eyes and brown/black hair. She is 160 cm tall, weighs 100 pounds and was last seen wearing a white jacket, black pants, a light grey hat and a white face mask. She lives in Joyce–Collingwood.

Ji’s son Alger Liang, a fifth-year UBC student and track and field athlete, has started a social media campaign to spread awareness. An Instagram account dedicated to the search has gained nearly 850 followers.

According to Liang, over 30 friends and family members are coordinating search efforts in a WhatsApp group chat, and another 200 people have joined a WeChat group in support.

“I’m very grateful and thankful that it’s been spreading pretty quickly,” said Liang.

He said he filed a missing persons report with the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) Monday afternoon.

Constable Tania Visintin wrote in a statement to The Ubyssey that the VPD’s missing persons unit is “actively investigating and speaking with family members,” but did not provide further details. Liang said the VPD has been contacting businesses near where Ji was last seen to examine surveillance video.

['auto'] Courtesy Alger Liang

“I think the urgency is very real, because it's been four days so we really need to find her. We're really worried about her and I really miss my mom,” Liang said.

“I also think it’s a good reminder for people to call their mom, to connect with your parents and just to check in because you never know what’s happening.”

Anyone with information should message @find.ting on Instagram, contact Liang at 778.317.3509 or phone the Vancouver Police Department at 604.717.3321.