Mask mandate lifted across campus after AMS lifts Nest requirement

Two days after UBC announced an end to its mask mandate, the AMS said it will no longer require masks in the Nest after June 30.

The student society made the announcement in a statement Wednesday evening, citing UBC’s recent announcement and public health information as reasons for ending the mandate.

Despite choosing to end its mandate, the AMS said it will still encourage visitors to wear masks and undertake other safety measures like getting vaccinated and staying home if they feel unwell.

“Individual clubs, student groups, businesses and services may still require masks to be worn at their events or spaces,” the release stated.

This announcement was expected following last week’s discussion of the future of the Nest’s mask mandate during AMS Council. While some voiced concern with the effects such a move would have on disabled or immunocompromised visitors to the building, most councillors and student executives seemed in favour of ending the requirement given the recent difficulty in its enforcement. Notably, the AMS has taken a passive approach to enforcement of its mandate throughout the pandemic.

After being unable to come to a decision, Council gave the Executive Committee authority to extend or rescind it. The committee decided to end the mandate at its meeting earlier today.

Masks have been required in the Nest since September 2020, shortly before the university required their use in indoor spaces. Last summer, the AMS pushed for stronger mask and vaccine policies ahead of the return to in-person classes in the fall.

The statement outlined other safety measures the AMS will continue to take, including having hand sanitizing stations at entrances to the Nest, cleaning of high-touch surfaces and the maintaining of physical barriers at food and service counters.

“Thank you everyone for your patience, cooperation and understanding over the past couple of years," the statement read. "We will continue to monitor Provincial Health Orders and adjust our policies accordingly.”