AMS plans to increase events portfolio, starting with Welcome Back BBQ

Five musical groups performed at the 31st annual AMS Welcome Back BBQ last Friday. The event was part of the AMS’s recently renewed commitment of growing their events portfolio.

“Last year we weren’t able to host it because we didn’t have a big-enough venue,” said Jenna Earnshaw, AMS Event Coordinator. “So we switched it up and called it Backyard Barbeque. We’re really excited now that we get to kind of re-establish all the traditions that were made during the Welcome Back Barbeque every year.”

When asked about how the AMS chose the performers at the event, Earnshaw said, “generally [when] we choose artists we make sure we have enough Canadian content. And we also look at local artists because that’s very important to us – that we’re showcasing bands that are up-and-coming in Vancouver.”

“We also look at what’s popular at the time and what students are interested in,” she added. “And we ask the students a lot: we ask for feedback a lot of the times.” To accomplish this, a “street team” goes out to ask students about what currently interests them.

Margot Kimmel, a third-year who was looking forward to Cashmere Cat and Dragonette, appreciated the BBQ’s “good vibe,” and felt that the AMS was finally meeting the high standards of performing artists set by schools like UBCO.

“It’s better than it was before. I think in the past the AMS [has] done their best to get good artists,” said Kimmel. “But it hasn’t been up to par, especially with UBCO…. I know for their Block Party they had some artists that were a bit more popular and I think here at UBC we could do better -- match that or do better. So I think this is getting in the right direction.”

The AMS has many musical events in store for students this academic year. “We’re hoping to have at least one big programming event every month,” said Earnshaw. “We have, obviously, with the increased budget … more ability to do that now.”

Specifically, the AMS approved increasing the concert budget from $15,000 to just under $80,000. Plans for this money include more entertainment in the new SUB's Great Hall Space, as well as the Pit.

“We really want to use the budget to do as much in this new [student union] building as we can,” said Earnshaw.

For now, students seem satisfied with the results of the AMS’s renewed commitment to bringing a good time to campus.

“They’re keeping up with the trends -- Cashmere Cat is amazing, Dragonette is amazing. It’s gonna be a fucking good time…. I think no matter who you really pick, it’s Welcome Back Barbeque -- everyone has such good vibes, everyone wants to have a good time, and that’s what we’re here for,” said third-year Elise Mance.