AMS approves increasing concert budget from $15k to $79,560

AMS council has recently approved a motion that will increase the budget for concerts at UBC from $15,000 to $79,560.

With this budget increase, the AMS will launch a series of concerts and events held in the new student union building. These concerts and events will mostly take place in the renovated Pit and the Great Hall in the centre of the building, which can hold a capacity of almost 1,000.

The budget was submitted by the AMS events manager, who could not be reached for comment. The budget went through the budget committee, then to Council and was passed at the July 29 Council meeting.

According to AMS Vice President Finance Mateusz Miadlikowski, the goal of the increased budget is to generate a student community and enhance student life within the new SUB.

“The priority of our previous year was to build the building, and now it is to build a community within the building to fill the building," said Miadlikowski. “We’re trying to increase student life and participation of students in student life, and the AMS will throw more events and make the events a little better and more visible on campus as well.”

The budget increase will mostly go towards funding new concerts, as opposed to larger events such as Block Party or the Backyard BBQ, since these events are under a separate budget.

Miadlikowski also noted that this money could provide UBC with several DJ shows.

Although this new concert budget is significantly larger than the previous budget, Miadlikowski said that it is actually an adjusted number.

“The previously presented number was way higher, but budget committee decreased it," said Miadlikowski. "I think it was well justified and it’s balanced with the concert revenue of almost $65,000, which includes sales of tickets and liquor sales and any potential sponsorship in addition to the $65,000."

Ultimately, he is pleased with the final budget increase.

“With such a beautiful space, we need to make sure that the events are on par with the building,” he said.