AMS Nest closed for in-person dining during province’s COVID-19 ‘circuit breaker’

The AMS established new COVID-19 restrictions in the Nest, following provincial restrictions announced yesterday.

AMS President Cole Evans said that in response to the new health orders, the AMS is reducing seating and eliminating in-person dining in the Nest. Students are still able to study in the building.

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced a three-week “circuit breaker” yesterday, with new restrictions running until April 19.

The province recorded over 2,500 new COVID-19 cases last weekend, with a record high of 936 new cases reported on Saturday alone.

Premier John Horgan appealed to young people at the press conference, asking them to “not blow this for the rest of us." He clarified his comments on Twitter Tuesday, thanking “the vast majority of young people doing everything they can.”

Along with the closure of Whistler Blackcomb and cancellation of indoor worship services and exercise classes, Henry announced that indoor dining is now patio and takeout only.

Evans said these changes will last until at least April 19, per the new restrictions.

“We have also reduced seating throughout the Nest and students will notice additional signage with reduced seating limits per table in high-traffic areas such as the main atrium.”

AMS businesses The Gallery, Blue Chip, Porch and Honour Roll will still be open for takeout and delivery.

“The AMS Food and Beverage department is testing the feasibility of keeping the Gallery Patio operating for the time being as long as it continues to be allowed by provincial health guidelines,” Evans added.

Thandi Fletcher, a university spokesperson, said that UBC will be releasing more information in the coming days on any adjustments to be put in place for the next three weeks.

“We are in the process of reviewing how these new restrictions may affect UBC’s operations and will provide our community of students, faculty and staff with more information in the days ahead,” Fletcher wrote in an emailed statement on Monday, March 29.