Alumni hope to make 3D printing more accessible by turning plastic into printing material

It might seem crazy that the plastic in the lid of your coffee cup could be more valuable than aircraft grade titanium, but according to UBC alumnus Dennon Oosterman, that’s the nature of today’s 3D printing industry.

Oosterman, Alex Kay and David Joyce, two other UBC Engineering physics alumni, are the brains behind the ProtoCycler, a machine that turns scrap plastic from products such as pop bottles into usable filament for 3D printing.

Oosterman said that those who have used 3D printers before are well aware of the high cost of plastic filament. The ProtoCycler emerged out of a desire to reduce this financial barrier and make 3D printing more accessible for people outside engineering.

“For the first time ever, anyone can make whatever they want without having to worry about the cost, the time or anything. It’s truly unlimited creative freedom,” said Oosterman.

Oosterman also said that one of the biggest challenges with printing in the third dimension is producing a consistent diameter filament to print with. Without it, the results can be messy.

"If you can believe this, it's even more annoying to fix than a paper jam," said Oosterman.

According to Oosterman, his team's ReDeTec team (short for Renewable Design Technology) was the first to try and automate their device so that the ProtoCycler will produce consistent printer filament without the need for tinkering.

In the future, he imagines a time when every high school will have access to a 3D printer and ProtoCycler, which will inspire future generations to create in a sustainable way.

“The whole maker movement is really taking off. People want to make their thing the way that they want it and will take the time and effort to learn that, which to me is nothing short of fantastic,” said Oosterman.

After their recent success raising money for the recycler on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo.com, the ReDeTec team is currently finalizing the design for the ProtoCycler, with a plan to start shipping this fall.