PSA: Nominations for AMS VP finance by-election open September 8

Nominations for the Alma Mater Society’s (AMS) by-election for the VP finance position open tomorrow, September 8.

Any UBC student can nominate themselves for the VP finance position. You just need to submit a nomination form signed by yourself and 25 UBC students who would like to nominate you, as per Section IX (9), Article 2 of AMS Code. The nomination form opens tomorrow. Physical nomination forms will also be available on the third floor of the AMS Nest at the AMS offices. Students interested in endorsing a candidate can do so at this link.

The AMS is UBC’s student union — it advocates on behalf of students to the university administration and government, operates the AMS Nest and administers on-campus services and AMS clubs. The VP finance deals with all things money at the AMS. They create yearly budgets, manage club reimbursements and oversee the AMS/GSS Health & Dental plan.

This election is a by-election, meaning only the VP finance role is up for grabs.

Former VP Finance Rita Jin vacated her position earlier this summer after her class commitments were not approved by Council. AMS President Eshana Bhangu has been acting as VP finance on an interim basis since then.

The nomination period for the VP finance by-election runs from September 8–15 and the campaign period runs from September 19–29. Voting will be open from September 25–29. The campaign and voting periods close at 5 p.m. on the 29th.

This piece was updated on September 14, 2022 to reflect the changes in the voting period dates.