AMS VP finance resigns, president to temporarily assume role

AMS VP Finance Rita Jin will step down from her role on July 4.

In a statement sent to The Ubyssey this morning, AMS President Eshana Bhangu said Jin is resigning to ensure compliance with AMS code, Section 6, Article 9 which states that all AMS execs “shall seek approval of Council for their outside commitments before embarking on them.”

Council approved this code change at its April 27 meeting. In a message to The Ubyssey, Bhangu said this article was added to ensure execs prioritize their “role to serve students above all other commitments.”

Bhangu said she was unable to comment on the specific activities Jin pursued due to HR and confidentiality.

“I would like to extend sincere thanks to Rita for her dedication and contributions as the VP Finance since her election,” Bhangu wrote in her statement.

Jin was elected VP finance in the March 2022 AMS Elections. She ran on her experience as the 2021/22 associate vice-president finance, beating out former Interfraternity Council President Noah Jassmann and third-year science student Angad Singh Gill.

In her two months as VP finance, Jin has prepared the 2022/23 budget, introduced code changes around the AMS credit card policy and expanded access to student club subsidies.

“Through her leadership, Rita has done her best to consistently put AMS members’ best interests at the forefront,” Bhangu wrote.

Bhangu said she will step in as VP finance starting July 5 as the AMS launches a search for an interim VP, before it holds a by-election in the fall. The president said more details on the search for an interim will be released soon.

While this is the first resignation from the AMS executive this year, Jin is not the first recently-elected student politician to step down from their position within the first few months of their term. Last month, Anisha Sandhu resigned from her student senator-at-large seat and four of the five arts representatives on AMS Council left their positions to work elsewhere in the student society. These positions have all been filled.