The bravest, dumbest, most disturbing discipline reports: 2005-2010

(Trigger warning: harassment, death threats, voyeurism, assault)

All of UBC and UBC Okanagan's academic and non-academic discipline reports from 1996-2014 are available online for your perusal (thanks to /u/yvery for reminding me!). They range from your standard forged medical note to elaborate, ostentatious and sometimes horrifically stupid ideas. 

In our first edition, we looked at some highlights from the most recent four years. This time, we're going all the way back to ’05, baby. Obama was just a senator from Illinois, Breaking Bad was three years away from airing, and YouTube looked like this:

['']
[''] .

Let's dive in.

2005/06

A student allegedly committed a number of incidents of academic misconduct in two courses. In particular, in one course they were alleged (i) to have submitted a final examination with a false name on a paper. In the other course, they (ii) brought in for marking a lab manual with no name; (iii) falsely claimed they had written a midterm examination; (iv) wrote a lab examination final using a false name and wrote a second final the next day; (v) failed to write the midterm examination in the lecture portion of the course; (vi) attended the final examination, but did not turn in the paper; and (vii) participated in quizzes after claiming to have dropped the course in order to assist another student. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in both courses and a suspension from the university for eight months. 

2006/07

A student committed academic misconduct by impersonating a UBC administration director and in their name asked (by email) a course instructor to send the final examination to them. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university for 18 months.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by impersonating an instructor in an e-mail message and informed students that errors had been made to their mark in the course. 

Discipline: A letter of reprimand

In one course, the student gained unauthorized access to the office of a UBC instructor and changed their mark on the instructor’s computer. In another course, the student gained unauthorized access to the instructor’s office and removed their midterm exam. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in both courses and a suspension from the university for 12 months.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by entering a women’s washroom, peering over the stall wall and taking pictures. 

Discipline: Expelled from the university and a permanent (non-removable) record of the disciplinary action be entered on the student’s transcript.

2007/08

A student committed non-academic misconduct by entering a women’s washroom, peering under the shower curtain and taking pictures of a female student. 

Discipline: A suspension from the university for 24 months.

A student committed academic misconduct by making unauthorized changes their own records while employed at UBC. 

Discipline: A letter of severe reprimand. (They saw their chance and they took it. And fucked it up).

A student committed non-academic misconduct by physically assaulting a fellow student during a scheduled break in a course. 

Discipline: A letter of severe reprimand.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by emailing two separate threats to the university that caused major disruptions to campus including the closure of one building. 

Discipline: Expelled from the university and a permanent record of the disciplinary action be entered on the student’s transcript.

A TA committed academic misconduct by (i) entering grades on two undergraduates’ final examination papers without due regard to the marking guide provided by the course instructor and (ii) altering answers on their final examination papers in order for them to receive higher grades from other teaching assistants. 

Discipline: A suspension from the university of 12 months

2008/09

A student committed academic misconduct by altering answers and marks and forging the instructor’s initials on a midterm examination before submitting it for re-grading. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university of eight months.

A student allegedly committed academic misconduct by claiming authorship of another student’s marked quiz and actively pursued to have the other student’s grade recorded as theirs. 

Outcome: Allegation dismissed.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by assaulting another student and breaking two panes of glass within a university building door. 

Discipline: Student required to repay the university for the costs of replacing the glass panes, avoid contact with the other student and a letter of warning placed on their UBC file until graduation.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by approaching several female residents and making offensive comments. In addition, the student caused damage to private property by ripping down posters from a display board and allegedly kicking the door outside of a tenant’s room.

Discipline: A letter of reprimand. The allegation that the student had kicked the door of a tenant was not sustained by the evidence available.

A student committed non-academic misconduct when them and a group of friends entered a student housing building and targeted a specific room with the intent to rip posters from a tenant’s room door. 

Discipline: A letter of reprimand. (This exact report is on there four times, so we can assume a posse of four people "targeted a specific room with the intent to rip posters" from a door).

A student committed academic misconduct by being involved in an incident where a copy of a final examination was taken from the exam room and replaced with a document purporting to be the exam. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university of 12 months.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by sending communications to another student in which they threatened to kill that student and others. 

Discipline: A letter of reprimand.

2009/10

A student committed academic misconduct by copying from the course textbook they kept with themselves during a final examination. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a letter of reprimand. (How do people keep thinking they can get away with bringing a textbook to an exam?)

A student committed academic misconduct by altering their personal identification information on the cover sheet of a midterm examination. They then emailed the course instructor stating that they had been absent from the examination and subsequently supplied a medical note attesting to the student being absent. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a letter of reprimand.

A student committed academic misconduct by retrieving course notes stashed in a washroom trash can and accessing the materials during a final examination.

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university for four months.

A student committed academic misconduct by bringing unauthorized material into an open-book final in-class essay of the same course. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university for eight months. (Dude... it was open-book).

A student committed non-academic misconduct of harassment and forgery by sending a note that contained offensive comments to their instructor and that they forged the name of another student in their class on that note. 

Discipline: A letter of reprimand for academic misconduct and a suspension from the university for four months.

A student committed non-academic misconduct by composing and sending an email to former university president that threatened her and her children’s lives. 

Discipline: Expelled from the university and a permanent record of the disciplinary action entered on the student’s transcript.

A student committed non-academic misconduct for (i) underage drinking in residence and (ii) creating a mixture in a water bottle which landed next to a passerby when the bottle was inadvertently dropped out of their window in residence. The passerby had the mixture splashed on him. (No! Not mixture!) 

Discipline: Required to write an apology letter to the complainant, required to complete 20 hours of community service, required to complete the BASICS Alcohol Education Program, placed on residence probation for four months and forbidden to consume alcohol or be under the influence of alcohol on university premises for 10 months.

Bonus stats (2005-2010)

Forged doctor's notes: 9

Plagiarized assignments: 74

Exam cheaters: 95