How to get involved

Whether it’s an article, visual, video or our website — we need student contributors, like you, to help us run.

READ OUR COVERAGE

Not sure what we do? Visit ubyssey.ca to read all our coverage and find what section you want to get involved in. You can also get our news, event coverage and satire delivered weekly to your inbox — subscribe at dingbatmail.beehiiv.com.

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST(S)

The first step to getting involved is visiting ubyssey.ca/pages/volunteer. There, you can join our Discord server and section Facebook groups for community updates and meeting times. You can also sign up for pitch lists, where editors send out assignments.

Pitches are short descriptions of stories that editors want someone to cover — whether that’s a cool news story, an event happening on campus, a piece about new research, a recap of a T-Birds game or even a video, photo or illustration. You don’t have to have any experience to contribute to us — we’ll teach you everything you need to know!

Have questions? Contact an editor! You can find our emails at ubyssey.ca/pages/about.

WHAT IF I HATE WRITING?

We don’t just write at The Ubyssey — we take photos, create illustrations, film videos and have an entire web development team, too!

You can also join our Board of Directors, who oversee all things business regarding the paper, from finances to our strategic plan. They’re elected once a year in the spring during AMS Elections. Have questions? Email our Board president at president@ubyssey.ca.

VISIT US!

We hold meetings for all of our sections in our office, so come visit us in room 2208 in the Nest!

Staff meetings are a great way to get to know your friends at The Ubyssey! On Fridays at 4 p.m., we hang out and talk about exciting things going on at the paper. We also talk about Ubyssey events like socials and our intramural teams. You don’t have to be a Ubyssey staffer to attend staff meetings — come on down for a fun time!

You can also drop by the office from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. every weekday to do some homework, use our toaster oven, brainstorm a story, eat your lunch, or joke around. Editors are in the office pretty much all the time, so come visit us.