Neighbourhoods in Vancouver

Do you know your West End from your West side from your West Van? Here's a quick guide to some of Vancouver's neighbourhoods so you can look like a local.

WEST POINT GREY / DUNBAR

Unless you're living in a basement suite, you won't find yourself in Point Grey or Dunbar very often. They're primarily residential areas dominated by single-family homes. They are adjacent to Spanish Banks and Jericho Beach as well as several Pacific Spirit Park trailheads, so they are also a place to go for a bit of the great outdoors.

KITSILANO

Centred on 4th avenue on the West side of Vancouver, Kits is a trendy commercial area home to brunch favourite Jam Cafe and plenty of clothing retailers and health food stores. It's easily accessible from UBC by bus.

MOUNT PLEASANT / LITTLE MOUNTAIN

These two neighbourhoods encompass Main Street, the division between East and West Vancouver. You'll find tons of bars and speakeasies, as well as some of Vancouver's best thrift stores. Mount Pleasant was also voted Metro Vancouver's 2nd best neighbourhood in 2020, losing only to Steveston in Richmond.

GRANDVIEW-WOODLAND

Grandview-Woodland is centred around the historically Italian Commercial Drive. Go there to find the best Italian food in Vancouver, and more night life in the area than anywhere on the West side.

DOWNTOWN

It's a bit of a misnomer to call Downtown one neighbourhood, as it's actually a bunch of smaller, more dense communities on the Northeast side of Vancouver. To name a few — Gastown is the tourist centre of Vancouver, Davie Street is Vancouver's historically gay neighbourhood and Yaletown is a bar-hopper fave.