Ancestral echoes: Navigating identity and advocacy at UBC

Ten-year-old Sarah, with her distinct Northern London accent, would hardly have imagined herself at UBC, growing and challenging her mind, immersing herself in social justice activism on campus and racing to find a chair at IKB.

Nearly a decade ago, my mother, the brave nomad and Fulani woman she is, arranged our immigration to Canada. I remember vividly the day we boarded the flight that would reshape our lives.

Looking at my mother, a silent understanding passed between us — a glance of affirmation and a smile — indicating the journey ahead held the promise of hope and transformation. It was as though a seed of possibility awaited us in Canada, ready to be nurtured and blossomed.

I was born in Ireland to an Irish father and a Nigerian mother from Lagos, whose rich heritage includes Edo, Fulani and Nubian ancestry — three ancient groups found in the Northern and Western parts of the African continent.

Before coming to Canada, I grew up in Milton Keynes, a suburban town 50 miles north of London. Upon arriving in Canada, I lived in Calgary and Toronto for seven years before settling in Vancouver, where I now attend UBC. Attending UBC was the culmination of years of hard work, dedication and perseverance. As a scholar, this opportunity has exceeded my expectations, fulfilling a lifelong dream and marking the beginning of an exciting academic journey.

As a second-year student navigating life at UBC, I find myself at the intersection of my identities: Black and Muslimah. Each facet of my identity contributes to the mosaic of experiences and journeys that shape life as a student. Being Black and Muslimah at UBC is a nuanced experience, often involving navigating spaces where I am misunderstood and misrepresented. Yet, it is within this complexity that I find the strength and resilience to work toward something greater through student leadership endeavors.

Campus engagement has been a cornerstone of my UBC experience so far. Through clubs and organizations dedicated to equity, I am thankful to have found a community that resonates with me. The Black Student Union has provided me with opportunities to explore my passions and contribute to projects close to home. I frequently find myself immersed in weekly meetings with administration and peers, constantly brainstorming ideas to expand exposure to the Black community on campus.

During Black History Month and beyond, the inclusivity of all Black narratives is paramount. Black people in British Columbia do not constitute the majority of the demographic, and life as a Black student participating in academia can be isolating.

I can reflect on times when I viewed my complex identity as a barrier and burden in navigating life, but I am grateful that I have embraced who I am with a force of embracement and pride, seeing it as an asset that knows no bounds.

UBC, with its reputation as one of the most international schools in North America, provides a fertile ground for embracing diversity. In every corner of campus, I witness the beauty of intersectionality unfold, through multicultural student gatherings or the interdisciplinary research projects I am involved in.

Since childhood, I've been known for being a bold character and a bookworm, always eager to claim a seat at the elder table to learn more knowledge about my ancestors. Reflecting, this drive fuels my advocacy and leadership pursuits. The desire to want my history and heritage like many other students to be actively included and represented.

My grandfather, Ali Jibril, served as a beacon for change in his community, known for sponsoring orphans and serving as an elected politician. My ancestors exemplify a commitment to a liberated world that champions the success of Black peoples. From the remnants of the Benin Kingdom of the Edo to the remarkable migrations of the Fulani across Africa, and even in my early education about Irish resistance from my father, I am deeply grateful for my ancestors who paved my path.

Each day, both in the classroom and beyond, I hold onto the sacrifices and richness of my heritage dearly.

In embracing my intersections, I have found a sense of belonging and purpose. I am not confined by narrow definitions or stereotypes. I am an immigrant's daughter empowered to chart my own path. As I continue to navigate the complexities of identity, I am grateful for the opportunity to thrive in a community that is working towards inclusivity, one step at a time. My only hope is that beyond my graduation, the involvement and inclusivity of Black student life on campus are present and acknowledged — not only by Black students themselves but by everyone. It is crucial that others are educated on how Blackness is multifaceted and is a diverse identity in its own right.

This is part of the UBC Black Student Union and The Ubyssey's 2024 Black History Month supplement, titled Intersections. Read the full supplement here.