How to celebrate New Year’s Eve when you have to be back at UBC on January 1

If your 2019 New Year’s resolution is to hit the ground running, you will — term two of the 2018/19 school year starts on January 2 this year. The pressure of flight itineraries, packing and new term jitters may put many of our “traditional” New Year's Eve plans in jeopardy. Nevertheless, in the name of nostalgia, merriment and getting the most out of your winter break, here are some ways you can celebrate NYE anyways.

Being stone cold sober

In going this route, you can ensure this really will be the most memorable NYE of all time. You’ll remember all the hors d’oeuvres, outfits and conversations. You’ll remember how self-conscious, vulnerable and out of place you felt as your intoxicated friends and family, who don’t have to travel back to university, dance around you carefree.

Pull an all-nighter

Ring in the new year at 12 a.m. — and then stay awake. This will allow you to make the most out of your last few moments of winter break and the most out of the first hours of 2019. Perhaps most importantly, it will also help you figure out if you can still pull all-nighters and function the next day like last term.

Log on to the SSC

If you’ve avoided the SSC over the break, take this precious time to reflect on your academic performance, reconsider your scholarly pathway and make some impulsive course changes. As you tentatively type “ssc” into your browser and enter your campus-wide login, grab yourself a noise-maker and another cheese puff and cruise the course calendar surrounded by family and friends.

Set some resolutions for 2019

While your friends and family play games, laugh and be merry, set yourself up in a corner and draft some resolutions for the year. Be they academic, social or personal, write whatever comes to mind on a nearby hostess napkin. Maybe you’ll follow through this year?

get some sleep

If you can’t engage in the typical NYE festivities, take part in the festivity you’ll miss most in about a week: sleep. There will always be other New Years Eves, right? Sleep through this one and wake up to 2019 (and your 5 a.m. flight) bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.