Top Ubyssey blog articles of 2016

Yeah, it's been a shitty year. But we had a few laughs along the way... right? Broken down month by month, here are some of the articles that kept us going in 2016.

January:

UBC used to have “nap rooms,” but students kept fucking in them

['']
[''] FIle photo Boris Bosnjakovic / The Ubyssey

The headline says it all and is the best part of this article. As a blog editor, we get to use “fuck” once, MAYBE twice a year. And former blog editor Jack Hauen used his well. Dang horny students — apparently campus naps will have to stick to the quiet tables of Koerner basement.

February:

UBC looks like Nazi territory on Google Street View

['']
[''] Photo via Rivolver

Students are not strangers to navigating around film sets that occasionally sprawl across the main parts of our beautiful campus. However, The Man in High Castle managed to pick the day the Google Street View van came around.

March:

The best Storm the Wall team names

['']
[''] FIle photo Kosta Prodanovic / The Ubyssey

A yearly tradition featuring UBC's best innuendos and controversy.

April:

Another day, another car on the stairs

['']
[''] Photo courtesy The UBC Party Calendar

Okay UBC, it’s time we had a little talk about our stairs. They are not a road for you to drive on. With this being the fifth installment the series, let's hope these chronicles don't have a sixth.

May:

Eight brilliant ideas for how to use the Perch space

['']
[''] FIle photo Jeremy Johnson-Silvers / The Ubyssey

Brilliant ideas really that were tragically rejected by the AMS. But at least nostalgic senior students got their wish on having The Gallery return — even if it is only in name. My heart is still holding out for a sheep cafe to come to campus. Maybe one day.

June:

Top reasons why we're obsessed with UBC President Santa Ono

['']
[''] Courtesy of Bearcats History Pix

Continually bringing our campus enlightenment in what is nichely known as the “The Santaissance,” President Santa Ono has lived up to the hype. Delivering bow ties, inspiring tweets and Christmas cheer, what's not to love?

July:

The complete UBC guide to Pokémon GO

['']
[''] FIle photo Sam Barringer / The Ubyssey

Ah yes, the summer phenomenon that got millennials everywhere to walk outside and sit in massive silent herds around a lure point. That was the best week ever.

August:

A panoramic peek into UBC residences

['']
[''] File photo Quentin Golsteyn / The Ubyssey

Okay, so August was a slow month for humour. But students preparing to move into residence apparently found this very helpful. With 360 degree views of all the different dorms on campus, it's interesting to see how different students chose to decorate their rooms.

September: TIE!

Best places to take a shit at UBC and How to avoid contact with first-years

['']
[''] File photo Bailey Ramsay / The Ubyssey

Both of these articles are September essentials to prepare you for the start of a new term. Just remember to grab a copy of The Ubyssey with you while you're on your way to one of these premium toilets and practice your paper origami skills. Perhaps even make a hat to scare off those first-years.

October:

UBC philosophy prof receives a package of actual feces

['']
[''] Courtesy Jonathan Jenkins Ichikawa

Remember when I said it was a shitty year? It was for some more than others.

November:

Prof jokes: When dad jokes enter the classroom

['']
[''] Illustration Maia Boakye

Prof jokes are like dad jokes with all the secondhand embarrassment, but none of the familial shame. Although, luckily for students, it’s much harder to be caught rolling one’s eyes in a lecture hall than at the dinner table.

December:

It snowed in Vancouver and everyone lost their shit

['']
[''] Courtesy Ben Geisberg

It isn't the yoga, craft beer or sushi that sets Vancouver apart from the rest of Canada — it's how we deal with the snow. Vancouverites whipped out their umbrellas and Canadians who grew up east scoffed in disgust.

On behalf of The Ubyssey, I wish everyone a happy holidays, as well as a gentle and forgiving 2017 — God knows we need it.