From the Cult: Board of Governors interviews

While our besties over at Ubyssey news have been full-sending it with the election coverage, us at the blog have been thinking about other things. Things that keep us up at night, like which of the BoG candidates are actually DoG people.

I mean, would you trust someone who doesn’t love man’s best friend? I didn’t think so.

Responses were edited for brevity and clarity.

Kareem Hassib

Are you more of a dog person or a cat person?

I’m both! I love all animals equally.

Have you ever done the Polar Bear Swim?

I haven’t done the Polar Bear Swim. I’m still in first year, so lots of opportunities still. Hopefully one day before I graduate!

What’s your favourite campus building?

This isn’t a building, but I really like the Ridington room in IKB. The spiral staircase … I really love staircases. If I had to choose an entire building though: The Nest.

Favourite book you’ve ever read and why?

Hold on, let me pull up my Goodreads profile … The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green. It’s like a written transcription of his podcast, and it talks about very mundane facets of life. That makes it very philosophical by making you think about how it ties into the human condition.

FMK: The Pit, The Gallery, Browns

I’ve only been to Browns, I haven’t been to the other two. I’m underage.

Sultana Razia

Definitely a cat [person]. Dogs are cute, cats are cute, but cats have this fur that’s so “mushy-mushy” — so cute! Then there’s some dogs you can do [this] with, but not all kinds of dogs.

Have you ever done the Polar Bear Swim?

I went down there and chickened out … I do love going for a swim in the ocean, I do sometimes do that in summer.

What’s your favourite campus building?

I cannot study at one place for more than a day, I have to change places … [so] I can’t pinpoint one favourite — that wouldn’t be fair to all [the] other buildings, and they’d be mad at me.

The first book I fell in love with was The Kite Runner [by Khaled Hosseini] … Another that I love is A Little Life [by Hanya Yanagihara].

FMK: The Pit, The Gallery, Browns

I would marry Browns because if Browns were a person, they would cook good food and make me cocktails. I would kill the Gallery, because I don’t feel that connection with [it]. And I’d fuck The Pit, because if The Pit [were] a person, they’d be hot.

Onyeka Odenigbo

Dog! Back in my home country they like to bark, and I’d get so scared, but at the end of the day I just have to be warm with them.

Have you ever done the Polar Bear Swim?

I don’t like water. In my laboratory meetings, once they got to know me, they made fun of me. One [person] tried to register me for a UBC swimming class! I told him don’t waste the money, I’m not going there.

What’s your favourite campus building?

The AMS nest. I love that building, it’s simple.

The Richest Man in Babylon [by George Samuel Clason]—I’m kind of a financial person [since] it’s very hard for you to help someone without resources, such as financial resources. Another one I love is Rich Dad Poor Dad [by Robert T. Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter].

FMK: The Pit, The Gallery, Browns

That’s an unusual question (laughs). Marry Browns, kiss at The Pit, and to kill … none.

Leonard Wang

More of a dog person! I have a dog, his name is Liberty, and I used to cuddle him all the time while sleeping.

Have you ever done the Polar Bear Swim?

I have not, but I should.

What’s your favourite campus building?

The Sauder building’s really nice, because it’s pretty modern. But the comp sci building… the people there are a lot nicer. I guess it’s gonna be a 50/50 split.

The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal. It really breaks down what’s behind the human willpower, and what [you] can do to become not only more healthy, but also more disciplined. Another one was Principles by Ray Dalio. He kind of taught me to live my life [in] a very principled way.

FMK: The Pit, The Gallery, Browns

Marry The Gallery, fuck The Pit, and I’ll give the last one to Browns.

Eshana Bhangu

Due to scheduling conflicts, our writer couldn't interview Eshana Bhangu, so she sent us statement instead.

Dog person and that is the only right answer

Have you ever done the Polar Bear Swim?

I have not swam with polar bears yet but one day!!!

What’s your favourite campus building?

not Buchanan D.

Prince Harry's memoir... LMFAO jk who would ever read that amirite.

FMK: The Pit, The Gallery, Browns

Fuck The Pit, marry the Gal, kill Browns.

From the Cult is The Ubyssey’s unofficial humour AMS Election coverage. For official elections coverage, visit the news section.