Women's hockey wins Canada West in three games

UBC's women's hockey team has claimed the Canada West title.

The three-game series came to a close Sunday afternoon when, after the final whistle, the T-Birds were up 2-1.

The ’Birds were up one game to zero after Danielle Dube made 27 saves to keep UBC afloat 2-1 on Friday. Looking to capture the title in two games, the ’Birds hit the ice again on Saturday night, but fell 4-1 against the University of Manitoba Bisons. A goal was controversially not allowed after Stephanie Schaupmeyer deflected a pass past the Bisons’ goalie.

“We have a picture of it zoomed in — it clearly crossed the line,” said UBC head coach Graham Thomas. “They didn't even talk to the goal judge. It's frustrating when things like that happen. We didn't get the luck or the bounce on that one.”

The Bisons' capitalized on the moment and scored their final three goals in the third period.

The ’Birds and Bisons — who are rivals — hit the ice for the third time in as many days to settle the score on Sunday afternoon. The T-Birds took an early lead when three minutes into the first frame, UBC defenceman Celine Tardif put the puck past the Bisons.

The ’Birds were held to one goal until, off an assist from Rebecca Unrau and Logan Boyd, defenceman Kelley Murray scored UBC's second of the night.

The Bisons fought back, scoring their lone goal with just a few minutes left in play. It proved to be too little too late, allowing the ’Birds the capture the Canada West crown — the first time they have ever done so on home ice.

They will head the CIS quarterfinals in Calgary on March 17. It is unknown who they will play yet.