T-Birds sweep Cougars in women’s volleyball home opening weekend

The UBC women’s volleyball team started off their 2023/24 season with a weekend sweep over the Mount Royal University (MRU) Cougars.

The ‘Birds defeated the Cougars 3–0 on Friday and Saturday.

Friday’s game started strong for the Thunderbirds with two kills from middle Claire Cossarini and an attack error from the Cougars. But the Cougars held the ‘Birds below 10 points by capitalizing on UBC unforced errors.

The first set went back-and-forth with the teams staying within five points of each other at all times. The ‘Birds had five attempts at set point, but failed to deliver the last blow. The Cougars were catching up after a series of UBC attack errors, but a kill by Cossarini earned the first set win, 25–22.

UBC kept the momentum early in the second set. A series of MRU attack errors and UBC kills sent the Cougars into a timeout to recalibrate. That didn’t stop the ‘Birds, with Akash Grewal smashing a service ace soon after. The Thunderbird lead continued with the team eventually clinching the second set, 25–16.

The third set again started off with T-Bird points. After a timeout, MRU started to gain momentum but UBC continued to pull away with the lead. Midway through the set, after a series of MRU points, it was UBC’s turn for a timeout. A series of Cougar errors gave the ‘Birds their thunder, with the game finishing with an MRU service error, 25–19.

Grewal said it was “super fun” to be back at War Memorial Gym. “It’s been a long time since we’ve played indoor volleyball,” said Grewal. “It’s nice to have all the fans back, have the energy and be playing for one another.”

On Saturday, UBC bested MRU again in straight sets, with Lucy Borowski clinching the sweep with a kill in the third set. Cossarini was a wall for the ‘Birds, boasting seven kills and seven blocks.

Outside hitters Borowski, Grewal and Katarina Pantovic set the team’s offensive tone both nights. Borowski and Grewal had 16 kills each while Pantovic boasted 17 of her own. Grewal also brought the heat on the service line with a cumulative six aces. Libero Kacey Jost set the defensive tone with 15 digs and Issy Robertshaw boasted 46 assists over both games.

When asked what his goals for the season are, Riemer said it’s to compete at the U Sports national championship.

“The goal is out there, why not aim to put ourselves in a position where we can ... go back to the national championship,” said Riemer. “But really, the goals are shorter term. Can we get better? Are we ready to go tomorrow night?”

The Thunderbirds will be travelling to Regina this weekend to go against the 0–2 University of Regina Cougars.